Sep 26, 2012, 6:17 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:17 pm: Good news, as fractures go this isn’t too bad.
It is a non-displaced fracture that is going to keep him out of action for a few weeks, reports Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld. With training camp opening in a week he will not be ready to go yet, but for the start of the season in five weeks it is possible he will be healed and ready to go. Which is good news for both him and the Grizzlies.
4:10 pm: If there is an “unluckiest guy in the NBA” contest Darrell Arthur is upping his odds of wining.
Coming off a lost season due to a ruptured Achilles, the Grizzlies backup forward has suffered a “leg fracture” during a pickup game and is likely out for at least part of training camp, reports the Memphis Commercial Appeal on twitter.
Leg fractures can take all sorts of forms and complexities, and the healing time varies. But with training camp set to start in a week it might be safe to bet he will not be around until the regular season. Right now we don’t have a timetable on his return.
Arthur averaged 9.1 points and 4.3 rebounds per game last season and provided a real physical presence off the bench two seasons ago. Memphis was counting on him to step forward this year.
Memphis has one of the best starting frontlines in the NBA with Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol. Behind them were supposed to be Arthur and Marreese Speights. The Grizzlies moved Dante Cunningham this past off-season that was going to open up playing time for Arthur.
Now the Grizzlies may have to wait a while for Arthur. Which is not ideal in a deep Western Conference.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20