Sep 26, 2012, 6:17 PM EST
UPDATE 6:17 pm: Good news, as fractures go this isn’t too bad.
It is a non-displaced fracture that is going to keep him out of action for a few weeks, reports Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld. With training camp opening in a week he will not be ready to go yet, but for the start of the season in five weeks it is possible he will be healed and ready to go. Which is good news for both him and the Grizzlies.
4:10 pm: If there is an “unluckiest guy in the NBA” contest Darrell Arthur is upping his odds of wining.
Coming off a lost season due to a ruptured Achilles, the Grizzlies backup forward has suffered a “leg fracture” during a pickup game and is likely out for at least part of training camp, reports the Memphis Commercial Appeal on twitter.
Leg fractures can take all sorts of forms and complexities, and the healing time varies. But with training camp set to start in a week it might be safe to bet he will not be around until the regular season. Right now we don’t have a timetable on his return.
Arthur averaged 9.1 points and 4.3 rebounds per game last season and provided a real physical presence off the bench two seasons ago. Memphis was counting on him to step forward this year.
Memphis has one of the best starting frontlines in the NBA with Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol. Behind them were supposed to be Arthur and Marreese Speights. The Grizzlies moved Dante Cunningham this past off-season that was going to open up playing time for Arthur.
Now the Grizzlies may have to wait a while for Arthur. Which is not ideal in a deep Western Conference.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 2
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 1
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6