Sep 26, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
The Nets swung big and missed a couple times. They went hard after Carmelo Anthony, but he ended up in Manhattan. They wanted Dwight Howard — there were even tampering rumors — but the Magic would not play along so he ended up on the other coast.
Nets majority owner Mikhail Prokhorov is not a man used to not getting his way.
But the business of the NBA is a little different than other businesses, because of the market restrictions (salary cap, etc.…) and the limited supply of elite talent. So after owning the Nets for two years and promising a title within five, what has he learned?
I generally draw lessons from a broader set of goals I set for myself. The NBA is a very competitive league, and there’s an intense battle not only for players but for fans and advertising as well. So the stronger the competition, the more interesting it is for me. We were never working from a single game plan. The whole time we had Plan A, B, C, and D. These plans may intersect at some point, but our goal remains the same: Build a championship team and win the title within the first five years. Two years have already passed, so we have three years left. My plans haven’t changed.
Well, that’s vague.
Details asked him a lot of other questions, ranging from running for president of Russia to electric cars. And about women.
And about Nets minority owner Jay-Z.
First of all, my family was never rich. We never had a car or a country house, though we were solidly middle-class by Soviet standards. But what Jay-Z and I share is that we’re both self-made. We both achieved a certain level of success, thanks to our own talent and hard work. We definitely have that bond.
There is a lot more stuff in the Q&A.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy