Sep 26, 2012, 7:57 AM EST
I’m not sold the Nets are the best team in New York. They are not the best team in the Northeast. Nobody sane thinks they are the best team on the East coast, or in that conference.
Yes, they are going to be much better than last season’s train wreck in Newark. This version of the Nets — with Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Brook Lopez and Gerald Henderson — should be entertaining. That’s a start.
But Nets GM Billy King thinks they could be more than that. He was asked in a Tuesday press conference if these Nets could win an NBA title, as reported at ESPNNewYork.com.
“Can we win a championship? Yeah. But it takes luck in an NBA season to do that. You’ve gotta be healthy, get some breaks and the ball has to bounce your way sometimes.”
“I don’t know. … Miami’s very good. They’re the defending champions so that’s who everybody’s trying to beat, but I look at when we play them. For once, we’ve got pieces where we have a chance to beat them,” King said. “When we play the Lakers, we’ve got a chance to beat them. Every night we step on the court we’ve got a chance to win every game.
“We’re new to the party, but we’re going to be knocking on the door.”
If it’s a good party, do you ever hear the guy knocking at the door trying to get in?
I don’t want to just bash the Nets here because they are going to be a pretty good team. They are going to win more games than they lose. We do praise them in the PBT season preview.
But any Nets fans that think they are contenders are more delusional than Knicks fans… hey, maybe that is one battle of New York they can win!
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 0
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 2
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12