Sep 26, 2012, 8:41 AM EDT
Let’s start here — it’s not that bad. When the season starts, Danny Granger should be ready to roll for the Pacers. He’s working out with teammates now.
But coach Frank Vogel told the Indianapolis Star that Granger suffered a mild knee injury during his off-season training in California. He is now back at the Pacers facility, under the watchful eye of the team doctors.
Before we get to that, though, forward Danny Granger, the team’s leading scorer the past five seasons, will be limited some at the start of training camp after an issue with his left knee, which happened while working out in Los Angeles late in the summer, caused him to get an injection in it. Granger’s at the fieldhouse working out with the rest of his teammates daily, but the Pacers, who don’t believe it’s a major issue, plan to take it easy with him early on and allow him to use the preseason to work on his conditioning. Granger’s expected to play in some of the preseason games.
The Pacers had a better offense last season than some give them credit for (seventh in the league in points per possession), and Granger with his 18.7 points a game was at the heart of it. But if the Pacers are going to take the next step forward — if they are thinking Eastern Conference finals — they are going to need more from him. More points, and more efficient points.
Which is why being cautious, bringing him along slowly through camp is smart. The NBA season is a marathon, they need Granger for the entire race.
This doesn’t sound serious, but Pacer fans should keep an eye on it.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32