Sep 26, 2012, 8:41 AM EDT
Let’s start here — it’s not that bad. When the season starts, Danny Granger should be ready to roll for the Pacers. He’s working out with teammates now.
But coach Frank Vogel told the Indianapolis Star that Granger suffered a mild knee injury during his off-season training in California. He is now back at the Pacers facility, under the watchful eye of the team doctors.
Before we get to that, though, forward Danny Granger, the team’s leading scorer the past five seasons, will be limited some at the start of training camp after an issue with his left knee, which happened while working out in Los Angeles late in the summer, caused him to get an injection in it. Granger’s at the fieldhouse working out with the rest of his teammates daily, but the Pacers, who don’t believe it’s a major issue, plan to take it easy with him early on and allow him to use the preseason to work on his conditioning. Granger’s expected to play in some of the preseason games.
The Pacers had a better offense last season than some give them credit for (seventh in the league in points per possession), and Granger with his 18.7 points a game was at the heart of it. But if the Pacers are going to take the next step forward — if they are thinking Eastern Conference finals — they are going to need more from him. More points, and more efficient points.
Which is why being cautious, bringing him along slowly through camp is smart. The NBA season is a marathon, they need Granger for the entire race.
This doesn’t sound serious, but Pacer fans should keep an eye on it.
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 21
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 6
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 39
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 63
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 62
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40