Sep 26, 2012, 8:41 AM EDT
Let’s start here — it’s not that bad. When the season starts, Danny Granger should be ready to roll for the Pacers. He’s working out with teammates now.
But coach Frank Vogel told the Indianapolis Star that Granger suffered a mild knee injury during his off-season training in California. He is now back at the Pacers facility, under the watchful eye of the team doctors.
Before we get to that, though, forward Danny Granger, the team’s leading scorer the past five seasons, will be limited some at the start of training camp after an issue with his left knee, which happened while working out in Los Angeles late in the summer, caused him to get an injection in it. Granger’s at the fieldhouse working out with the rest of his teammates daily, but the Pacers, who don’t believe it’s a major issue, plan to take it easy with him early on and allow him to use the preseason to work on his conditioning. Granger’s expected to play in some of the preseason games.
The Pacers had a better offense last season than some give them credit for (seventh in the league in points per possession), and Granger with his 18.7 points a game was at the heart of it. But if the Pacers are going to take the next step forward — if they are thinking Eastern Conference finals — they are going to need more from him. More points, and more efficient points.
Which is why being cautious, bringing him along slowly through camp is smart. The NBA season is a marathon, they need Granger for the entire race.
This doesn’t sound serious, but Pacer fans should keep an eye on it.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4