Sep 26, 2012, 1:28 AM EDT
It’s going to be a rough season for the rebuilding Suns… unless you ask Clyde Drexler.
Drexler is the one Suns true believer. He thinks that even though this team missed the playoffs with that Nash guy last season they are going to be better this season without him. Here is what he told Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic.
“They’ve got a real team now,” Drexler said in initiating a discussion about the Suns while attending the Jerry Colangelo Basketball Hall of Fame Golf Classic in Litchfield Park last week. “They can really play. You already got (Marcin) Gortat. Now, you got (Luis) Scola. You got (Goran) Dragic. And you got (Michael) Beasley. You’ve got three new starters coming in who can play.”
The Glide is right, the Suns totally didn’t have a real team with Nash because he broke out of the flow of the offense all the time to run a lot of iso-Nash. You know how he’s the big dog and has to pile up his numbers, then everybody else can get the scraps.
So, next Coro says that most experts think the Suns are about the 12-14 seed in the West. Maybe better than only the Kings.
“Are you kidding me? If they don’t get the fourth or fifth playoff spot, I’m not standing before you. They’re big. They’re athletic. They know how to play.”
Somebody that knows Drexler and wants a free lunch should bet him on this stuff. It’s easy money.
The Suns are not going to be quite as bad as some predict, but still, a playoff team? I’m sure stranger things have happened, but I can’t think of one off the top of my head.
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 5
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 9
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 6
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 3
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay