Sep 26, 2012, 11:26 PM EDT
He’s no Omer Asik, but he will have to do.
The Bulls reportedly are about to add depth at center with the signing veteran Kyrylo Fesenko to a one-year, none guaranteed deal, reports Marc Stein of ESPN. The decision to sign him came after working him out on Monday.
While this is a non-guaranteed deal and the Bulls may well cut him before the season starts, they have been looking for a veteran big they could bring in to camp but then will have to release due to the hard salary cap they bump up against. Technically they could re-sign Fesenko in November to avoid cap issues, but to officially tell Fesenko they plan to do that is not permitted. Watch it happen anyway with a nod and a wink, but it’s not to be that obvious.
Fesenko played most of his career with Utah but had a cup of coffee — three games and 17 total minutes — with the Pacers last season. He’s a big body — 7’1” and nearly 300 pounds — but he has not been an efficient scorer or rebounder. He’s fine as a third big man at the end of the bench, just don’t expect much more.
He can fill a role with the Bulls. But Chicago is going to miss Asik this season.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay