Sep 25, 2012, 12:09 AM EDT
At first the reports were Avery Bradley would be back during training camp. Then there were suggestions he could miss even the start of the season following shoulder surgery at the end of last season.
Now Celtics fans, think of him as a Christmas present.
Doc Rivers spoke with the always fantastic Jackie McMullan for ESPNBoston.com and said Bradley would not return for Celtics training camp starting Friday.
“Not even close,” Rivers told ESPNBoston.com. “I don’t like to put a time limit on injuries, but I don’t think you’ll see him before December — and there’s a chance it could be closer to January.”
This is not ideal, but it’s also not that bad. The Celtics went out this summer and got Courtney Lee to come in and he will be a solid replacement at the two, both as a defender and three-point shooter. While the Celtics will miss Bradley, it’s not much of a drop off (if any) to Lee. Bradley may be a more tenacious defender, but Lee brings a veteran presence and about the same three-point shot.
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 10
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 31
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 11
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 9
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 19