Sep 25, 2012, 12:09 AM EDT
At first the reports were Avery Bradley would be back during training camp. Then there were suggestions he could miss even the start of the season following shoulder surgery at the end of last season.
Now Celtics fans, think of him as a Christmas present.
Doc Rivers spoke with the always fantastic Jackie McMullan for ESPNBoston.com and said Bradley would not return for Celtics training camp starting Friday.
“Not even close,” Rivers told ESPNBoston.com. “I don’t like to put a time limit on injuries, but I don’t think you’ll see him before December — and there’s a chance it could be closer to January.”
This is not ideal, but it’s also not that bad. The Celtics went out this summer and got Courtney Lee to come in and he will be a solid replacement at the two, both as a defender and three-point shooter. While the Celtics will miss Bradley, it’s not much of a drop off (if any) to Lee. Bradley may be a more tenacious defender, but Lee brings a veteran presence and about the same three-point shot.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 23
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 21
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27