Sep 25, 2012, 12:09 AM EDT
At first the reports were Avery Bradley would be back during training camp. Then there were suggestions he could miss even the start of the season following shoulder surgery at the end of last season.
Now Celtics fans, think of him as a Christmas present.
Doc Rivers spoke with the always fantastic Jackie McMullan for ESPNBoston.com and said Bradley would not return for Celtics training camp starting Friday.
“Not even close,” Rivers told ESPNBoston.com. “I don’t like to put a time limit on injuries, but I don’t think you’ll see him before December — and there’s a chance it could be closer to January.”
This is not ideal, but it’s also not that bad. The Celtics went out this summer and got Courtney Lee to come in and he will be a solid replacement at the two, both as a defender and three-point shooter. While the Celtics will miss Bradley, it’s not much of a drop off (if any) to Lee. Bradley may be a more tenacious defender, but Lee brings a veteran presence and about the same three-point shot.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 74
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32