Sep 25, 2012, 12:09 AM EST
At first the reports were Avery Bradley would be back during training camp. Then there were suggestions he could miss even the start of the season following shoulder surgery at the end of last season.
Now Celtics fans, think of him as a Christmas present.
Doc Rivers spoke with the always fantastic Jackie McMullan for ESPNBoston.com and said Bradley would not return for Celtics training camp starting Friday.
“Not even close,” Rivers told ESPNBoston.com. “I don’t like to put a time limit on injuries, but I don’t think you’ll see him before December — and there’s a chance it could be closer to January.”
This is not ideal, but it’s also not that bad. The Celtics went out this summer and got Courtney Lee to come in and he will be a solid replacement at the two, both as a defender and three-point shooter. While the Celtics will miss Bradley, it’s not much of a drop off (if any) to Lee. Bradley may be a more tenacious defender, but Lee brings a veteran presence and about the same three-point shot.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13