Sep 25, 2012, 10:24 AM EST
The decision on if the New York Knicks will keep Rasheed Wallace falls to…
Yup, he gets to decide his own fate according to Marc Berman of the New York Post (and it was confirmed by Sheed’s agent).
The Knicks are willing to take a gamble on 6-foot-11 power forward Rasheed Wallace, who retired two seasons ago after finishing a disappointing one-year stint as a Celtic.
But Wallace, who worked out with Knicks players Saturday at their training facility, still has not decided whether he is willing to dedicate himself to getting himself back in NBA shape at age 38. Clearly, he’s nowhere close now.
When do I get to decide what job I want to take? Because I want to be Phil Keoghan.
I remember talking to Wallace during the finals when he was retiring after the 2010 season (he and the Celtics went to Game 7 with the Lakers), and he still loved the games and being with his teammates, but he was weary of the grind of a long NBA season — the travel, the constant conditioning, the practices and training camps. He’d done it for years, he didn’t have the passion to do it anymore. As a guy who didn’t love the conditioning when he was playing, it’s not a surprise he fell out of NBA shape after he left the league.
After being away for a couple years, does he have that passion back? Ask him. The Knicks have. The ball is in his court, he can play or he can put it down and walk away.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11