Sep 25, 2012, 10:24 AM EST
The decision on if the New York Knicks will keep Rasheed Wallace falls to…
Yup, he gets to decide his own fate according to Marc Berman of the New York Post (and it was confirmed by Sheed’s agent).
The Knicks are willing to take a gamble on 6-foot-11 power forward Rasheed Wallace, who retired two seasons ago after finishing a disappointing one-year stint as a Celtic.
But Wallace, who worked out with Knicks players Saturday at their training facility, still has not decided whether he is willing to dedicate himself to getting himself back in NBA shape at age 38. Clearly, he’s nowhere close now.
When do I get to decide what job I want to take? Because I want to be Phil Keoghan.
I remember talking to Wallace during the finals when he was retiring after the 2010 season (he and the Celtics went to Game 7 with the Lakers), and he still loved the games and being with his teammates, but he was weary of the grind of a long NBA season — the travel, the constant conditioning, the practices and training camps. He’d done it for years, he didn’t have the passion to do it anymore. As a guy who didn’t love the conditioning when he was playing, it’s not a surprise he fell out of NBA shape after he left the league.
After being away for a couple years, does he have that passion back? Ask him. The Knicks have. The ball is in his court, he can play or he can put it down and walk away.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11