Sep 25, 2012, 10:24 AM EDT
The decision on if the New York Knicks will keep Rasheed Wallace falls to…
Yup, he gets to decide his own fate according to Marc Berman of the New York Post (and it was confirmed by Sheed’s agent).
The Knicks are willing to take a gamble on 6-foot-11 power forward Rasheed Wallace, who retired two seasons ago after finishing a disappointing one-year stint as a Celtic.
But Wallace, who worked out with Knicks players Saturday at their training facility, still has not decided whether he is willing to dedicate himself to getting himself back in NBA shape at age 38. Clearly, he’s nowhere close now.
When do I get to decide what job I want to take? Because I want to be Phil Keoghan.
I remember talking to Wallace during the finals when he was retiring after the 2010 season (he and the Celtics went to Game 7 with the Lakers), and he still loved the games and being with his teammates, but he was weary of the grind of a long NBA season — the travel, the constant conditioning, the practices and training camps. He’d done it for years, he didn’t have the passion to do it anymore. As a guy who didn’t love the conditioning when he was playing, it’s not a surprise he fell out of NBA shape after he left the league.
After being away for a couple years, does he have that passion back? Ask him. The Knicks have. The ball is in his court, he can play or he can put it down and walk away.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13