Sep 25, 2012, 8:59 AM EDT
Jose Calderon played well for Toronto last season. A lot of people didn’t notice because, well, he plays for Toronto and they weren’t very good. But Calderon was — 10.5 points a game, 8.8 assists and he had a PER of 16.7.
So, the Raptors went out and got Kyle Lowry in the offseason to be the starting point guard. How’s that for a pat on the back?
That led to all kinds of speculation that Calderon was unhappy and wanted a trade. But back at the Raptors workout facility he told the Toronto Star none of that is true.
“I don’t know if we have to use that word (controversy) before even training camp,” said Calderon before flatly denying a summer report that he was put out by the acquisition of Lowry and wanted a trade from the only NBA team he’s ever played for. “I think we are just two more players for the Raptors team, we’re going to try to win games for the Raptors.
“I think it’s just wanting to make a big thing before anything has started. It doesn’t matter, we have to win games, we want to make the playoffs. If he scores 20 points a game, I’ll be happy; it’s helping us win.”
Calderon may not want a trade from the only team he’s ever played for, but you can bet he is going to come up in rumors. When teams south of the border go shopping for a point guard in a trade the Raptors phone is going to ring and they will get offers for Calderon, who is in the last year of his deal making nearly $10.6 million. Lowry has one season after this but at a very reasonable $6.2 million.
Calderon is handling this like a pro — say it’s about the team, not your minutes. Now we’ll see how he handles a season of trade rumors. But he’s used to having another point guard in the mix, as long as he has been in Toronto there has been T.J. Ford or Jarrett Jack or someone he has to fight for minutes.
Just another day at the office for the Spaniard. So don’t expect public trade demands from him.
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 0
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 6
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 14
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35