Sep 25, 2012, 4:40 PM EST
The names aren’t really a surprise, but it shows that the Trail Blazers are going to be young and athletic this season. And a lot of fun to watch.
Speaking with the media, coach Terry Stotts confirmed the starting five in Portland (via Joe Freeman of the Oregonian): Damian Lillard, Wesley Mathews, Nicolas Batum, J.J. Hickson, and LaMarcus Aldridge.
That’s a pretty interesting group. Aldridge is a legitimate All-Star big man, a guy you can build around. Batum gives the Blazers good offense and great perimeter defense with a smart all-around game.
Lillard is a talented rookie who was a co-MVP of Summer League (and is my pick for Rookie of the Year), a guy who can score but has to learn to run a team. Hickson and Mathews are athletic guys getting a chance to prove they should be starters trusted with major minutes.
Portland is not a huge threat as constructed, not in a deep Western Conference. But they are pretty good, and definitely interesting. This could be one fun team to watch.
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 2
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 2
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 10
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 13
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9