Sep 25, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
The names aren’t really a surprise, but it shows that the Trail Blazers are going to be young and athletic this season. And a lot of fun to watch.
Speaking with the media, coach Terry Stotts confirmed the starting five in Portland (via Joe Freeman of the Oregonian): Damian Lillard, Wesley Mathews, Nicolas Batum, J.J. Hickson, and LaMarcus Aldridge.
That’s a pretty interesting group. Aldridge is a legitimate All-Star big man, a guy you can build around. Batum gives the Blazers good offense and great perimeter defense with a smart all-around game.
Lillard is a talented rookie who was a co-MVP of Summer League (and is my pick for Rookie of the Year), a guy who can score but has to learn to run a team. Hickson and Mathews are athletic guys getting a chance to prove they should be starters trusted with major minutes.
Portland is not a huge threat as constructed, not in a deep Western Conference. But they are pretty good, and definitely interesting. This could be one fun team to watch.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 0
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32