Sep 25, 2012, 4:40 PM EST
The names aren’t really a surprise, but it shows that the Trail Blazers are going to be young and athletic this season. And a lot of fun to watch.
Speaking with the media, coach Terry Stotts confirmed the starting five in Portland (via Joe Freeman of the Oregonian): Damian Lillard, Wesley Mathews, Nicolas Batum, J.J. Hickson, and LaMarcus Aldridge.
That’s a pretty interesting group. Aldridge is a legitimate All-Star big man, a guy you can build around. Batum gives the Blazers good offense and great perimeter defense with a smart all-around game.
Lillard is a talented rookie who was a co-MVP of Summer League (and is my pick for Rookie of the Year), a guy who can score but has to learn to run a team. Hickson and Mathews are athletic guys getting a chance to prove they should be starters trusted with major minutes.
Portland is not a huge threat as constructed, not in a deep Western Conference. But they are pretty good, and definitely interesting. This could be one fun team to watch.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18