Sep 25, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
The names aren’t really a surprise, but it shows that the Trail Blazers are going to be young and athletic this season. And a lot of fun to watch.
Speaking with the media, coach Terry Stotts confirmed the starting five in Portland (via Joe Freeman of the Oregonian): Damian Lillard, Wesley Mathews, Nicolas Batum, J.J. Hickson, and LaMarcus Aldridge.
That’s a pretty interesting group. Aldridge is a legitimate All-Star big man, a guy you can build around. Batum gives the Blazers good offense and great perimeter defense with a smart all-around game.
Lillard is a talented rookie who was a co-MVP of Summer League (and is my pick for Rookie of the Year), a guy who can score but has to learn to run a team. Hickson and Mathews are athletic guys getting a chance to prove they should be starters trusted with major minutes.
Portland is not a huge threat as constructed, not in a deep Western Conference. But they are pretty good, and definitely interesting. This could be one fun team to watch.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 21
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13