Chris Paul says he will play in preseason, be ready Oct. 31

Sep 25, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Chris Paul says he and his surgically-repaired thumb are going be ready to go when the Clippers tip off the season on Halloween night against he Memphis Grizzlies.

And they’ll play in a preseason game, too.

Remember Paul tore a ligament his thumb in a fluke play on one of the first days of Team USA training camp in Las Vegas, but he played through it and helped Team USA win gold at the London Olympics. In fact, he might have been the best player on the floor in the second half of the gold medal game against Spain, he completely controlled the flow of that contest.

Then he had surgery a few days later. He told Arash Markazi of ESPNLA.com that he is not missing any games that matter, despite a few reports he might.

“Today was the first day they actually allowed me to shoot layups, so today was the best day ever,” Paul told ESPNLosAngeles.com. “I hope I get a preseason game in before the season. I probably have to start off the season wearing a brace, but I get to wear the brace less and less. I wear it when I go to sleep, but I’m on track. I go to rehab every single morning at 6:30 a.m.”

Chris Paul with a brace on his hand is still as good as any point guard in the land. His old-school, high-IQ game may be less impacted by a brace on his hand than others who rely more on just being explosive.

Paul added that he is excited about this season with the Clippers. Which he should be since he and his agents at CAA pretty much played assistant GM all summer.

“I just get excited thinking about it,” Paul said. “I don’t think I’ve been this excited going into a season in a long time. Not just from a basketball aspect, but I love the guys. These are genuinely great guys, and I’m excited.”

It’s going to be an interesting year at Staples Center.

Latest Posts
  1. Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push

Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Goran Dragic, Josh Tiven Goran Dragic, Josh Tiven

LeBron James and a lot of stature are gone, but with the more-modest goal of just making the playoffs, Miami’s new point guard embracing the challenge

2. Anthony Davis made 100 free throws in arena after Rockets loss

Mar 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Pelicans star missed eight free throws in setback to Houston

3. DeMarcus Cousins has response for fan who tells him to stop complaining about calls

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Houston at Sacramento Getty Images

Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.

4. Amar’e Stoudemire on retiring: “There’s a lot of high-level basketball left in me”

Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Stoudemire can give a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality play.

5. NBA admits incorrect no-call by referees on final play of Lakers’ overtime win over Timberwolves

Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves

A day later the league says Andrew Wiggins was fouled, but the officials let it go at the time.

6. Clippers holding off on re-signing Nate Robinson after second 10-day contract expires

Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers would need to ink Robinson for the rest of the season, but are waiting to see how quickly he can return after a recent knee injury.

7. Wizards coach Randy Wittman: ‘I don’t give a crap what Marreese Speights thinks’

Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Randy Wittman AP

Speights said the Warriors knew the Wizards would quit after Golden State beat them recently, and Washington’s coach responds.

8. Nets say Thaddeus Young has a left knee strain, out Friday vs. Cavaliers

Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Brooklyn is a half-game out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.

9. Timofey Mozgov’s local commercial is an absolute gem (video)

Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers

Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey? Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches