Sep 25, 2012, 11:41 AM EST
Chris Paul says he and his surgically-repaired thumb are going be ready to go when the Clippers tip off the season on Halloween night against he Memphis Grizzlies.
And they’ll play in a preseason game, too.
Remember Paul tore a ligament his thumb in a fluke play on one of the first days of Team USA training camp in Las Vegas, but he played through it and helped Team USA win gold at the London Olympics. In fact, he might have been the best player on the floor in the second half of the gold medal game against Spain, he completely controlled the flow of that contest.
Then he had surgery a few days later. He told Arash Markazi of ESPNLA.com that he is not missing any games that matter, despite a few reports he might.
“Today was the first day they actually allowed me to shoot layups, so today was the best day ever,” Paul told ESPNLosAngeles.com. “I hope I get a preseason game in before the season. I probably have to start off the season wearing a brace, but I get to wear the brace less and less. I wear it when I go to sleep, but I’m on track. I go to rehab every single morning at 6:30 a.m.”
Chris Paul with a brace on his hand is still as good as any point guard in the land. His old-school, high-IQ game may be less impacted by a brace on his hand than others who rely more on just being explosive.
Paul added that he is excited about this season with the Clippers. Which he should be since he and his agents at CAA pretty much played assistant GM all summer.
“I just get excited thinking about it,” Paul said. “I don’t think I’ve been this excited going into a season in a long time. Not just from a basketball aspect, but I love the guys. These are genuinely great guys, and I’m excited.”
It’s going to be an interesting year at Staples Center.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 0
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 35
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6