Sep 25, 2012, 11:41 AM EDT
Chris Paul says he and his surgically-repaired thumb are going be ready to go when the Clippers tip off the season on Halloween night against he Memphis Grizzlies.
And they’ll play in a preseason game, too.
Remember Paul tore a ligament his thumb in a fluke play on one of the first days of Team USA training camp in Las Vegas, but he played through it and helped Team USA win gold at the London Olympics. In fact, he might have been the best player on the floor in the second half of the gold medal game against Spain, he completely controlled the flow of that contest.
Then he had surgery a few days later. He told Arash Markazi of ESPNLA.com that he is not missing any games that matter, despite a few reports he might.
“Today was the first day they actually allowed me to shoot layups, so today was the best day ever,” Paul told ESPNLosAngeles.com. “I hope I get a preseason game in before the season. I probably have to start off the season wearing a brace, but I get to wear the brace less and less. I wear it when I go to sleep, but I’m on track. I go to rehab every single morning at 6:30 a.m.”
Chris Paul with a brace on his hand is still as good as any point guard in the land. His old-school, high-IQ game may be less impacted by a brace on his hand than others who rely more on just being explosive.
Paul added that he is excited about this season with the Clippers. Which he should be since he and his agents at CAA pretty much played assistant GM all summer.
“I just get excited thinking about it,” Paul said. “I don’t think I’ve been this excited going into a season in a long time. Not just from a basketball aspect, but I love the guys. These are genuinely great guys, and I’m excited.”
It’s going to be an interesting year at Staples Center.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 6
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 38
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73