Batum feels bad he punched Juan Carlos Navarro in the nuts

Sep 25, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT

Olympics Day 12 - Basketball Getty Images

It was one of the most talked about moments of the Olympic basketball tournament — Nicolas Batum (he of the huge new contract with the Trail Blazers) and his French teammates needed to foul Spain, down 6 with 24 seconds left.

Batum did foul Juan Carlos Navarro by punching him in the place a man least wants to be punched. And I don’t mean his face.

It was a cheap shot. A five-game suspension at least if it happened in the NBA.

Batum says he now feels bad about that play, but mostly because of how it reflected on him not for doing it. That’s what it sounds like in this quote from Casey Holdahl’s piece at an official Trail Blazers blog.

“What I’m mad about is what I showed to people about myself, what I showed about the game, about France, everything,” said Batum. “I feel bad about it because that’s not me. I’m human. I lost it. I just lost it.

“You don’t want this type of action. I can’t do it. You can’t see that on the court. If the (International Basketball) Federation or the Olympics want to suspend me a couple games or fine me, I’m okay with that. I won’t say anything.”

Batum was frustrated, France had the lead in that game but were on a 0-11 shooting streak from the field when he had to foul. But I dare him to try that in an NBA game. The retribution will be a lot quicker, more stuff and more expensive.

1. hardballtalkusername - Sep 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM

“The retribution will be a lot quicker, more stuff and more expensive.”

I think you meant to say ‘more stiff.’

• amlowlife - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Freudian slip…

2. skinsfanwill - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM

More “stuff” meaning somebody here in the US would have kicked his ass.

3. katra2logic - Sep 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Not as bad as Batum felt however…

4. brutl - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Hmm I don’t remember KG getting suspended when he felt up Channing Frye..

• LPad - Sep 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I don’t recall a fight breaking out either.

Anyway, I understand why Batum feels the way he feels. Navarro is known dirty player so I feel the punch was overdue. Batum just mad that he’s the one who did it.

5. 24thesho - Sep 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM

If he tried that in the NBA, they’d beat his ass first and more than a few players would get suspended for joining in the the ass whipping Batum would experience. The nuts? What?! However, Spain was trying mess around with people, at least against the USA Team.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches