Sep 24, 2012, 4:02 PM EST
After looking at a few guys to come in as an off-the-bench big man for Minnesota, they made their choice. And sorry Timberwolves fans, it is not Anthony Tolliver.
Minnesota and Lou Amundson reached terms on a one-year deal, tweets Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
Source tells me Lou Amundson to sign a 1-year guaranteed deal for minimum, bit disappointed he didn’t get more.
— Chris Tomasson (@christomasson) September 24, 2012
Amundson can join the veteran party that includes Kenyon Martin, Josh Howard, Matt Barnes and a host of other guys who wanted more than the minimum and either couldn’t get it or are holding out for that to happen still. It’s the reality of the new NBA CBA — it is the league’s middle class that gets squeezed, and veteran role players off the bench are at the heart of the NBA’s middle class.
Obviously Kevin Love and Nikola Pekovic will start in Minnesota, with Andrei Kirilenko may start at the three (or come off the bench, we’ll see what the rotations work out to be) but he certainly will get minutes at the four. Greg Stiemsma will get plenty of run at the five. All of which is to say there are not a lot of minutes for Amundson, but he will get his chances over the course of the year and he is a veteran they can count on to bring energy and rebounding when he does get on the floor.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 3
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 11
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)