Sep 24, 2012, 4:21 PM EST
UPDATE 4:21 pm: New GM Tony Dileo confirmed that Howard is getting both a workout this week and an invite to training camp when it begins next week, reports CSNPhilly.com.
Again, this is a “make good” contract and he’s going to have to earn his way on to the team, but that might well happen. Veteran coaches like Doug Collins love veteran players.
2:21 pm: Josh Howard is going to end up with a roster spot, because he is the kind of veteran that ends up with a roster spot. He was once a 19.9 points per game scorer in Dallas, however last season for the Jazz he averaged 8.7 points a game and he hasn’t shot over 40 percent in two years.
But teams are giving him looks, this week that is the Philadelphia 76ers, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports. Then newly minted Sixers GM Tony DiLeo confirmed that they do want to add one more wing player to the roster (via Derek Bodner of Liberty Ballers).
Not sure Howard is the best guy for the Sixers, they are a young team on the rise and I would go with someone who more fits that mold. Think three years from now, and that’s not Howard anymore.
Other teams in the mix reportedly are the Spurs, Timberwolves and Jazz (although a return to Utah is unlikely). He makes more sense in San Antonio to me, but there are always the questions of money and minutes.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 0
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 3
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6