Sep 24, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:21 pm: New GM Tony Dileo confirmed that Howard is getting both a workout this week and an invite to training camp when it begins next week, reports CSNPhilly.com.
Again, this is a “make good” contract and he’s going to have to earn his way on to the team, but that might well happen. Veteran coaches like Doug Collins love veteran players.
2:21 pm: Josh Howard is going to end up with a roster spot, because he is the kind of veteran that ends up with a roster spot. He was once a 19.9 points per game scorer in Dallas, however last season for the Jazz he averaged 8.7 points a game and he hasn’t shot over 40 percent in two years.
But teams are giving him looks, this week that is the Philadelphia 76ers, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports. Then newly minted Sixers GM Tony DiLeo confirmed that they do want to add one more wing player to the roster (via Derek Bodner of Liberty Ballers).
Not sure Howard is the best guy for the Sixers, they are a young team on the rise and I would go with someone who more fits that mold. Think three years from now, and that’s not Howard anymore.
Other teams in the mix reportedly are the Spurs, Timberwolves and Jazz (although a return to Utah is unlikely). He makes more sense in San Antonio to me, but there are always the questions of money and minutes.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 0
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18