Sep 24, 2012, 9:16 AM EDT
With the Magic having entered full-on rebuilding mode, there have been changes to the roster and more are to come. Many more.
Which brings us to veteran two-guard J.J. Redick, who is still in Orlando. For now. The Magic picked up his $6 million option for this season, so he will be back for training camp.
The question is for how long — in the last year of his deal he is a valuable trade asset for GM Rob Hennigan. But Redick told the official Magic team site he would like to stay.
“I love playing here and I love playing for Orlando. I love representing our fans and our city,’’ Redick said. “But I understand it’s a transition year for our organization. I’ve had conversations with Rob and we’re both on the same page with my future going forward. I’ve given him my commitment that as long as I’m in Orlando and wearing a Magic uniform that I’m going to be a pro and give everything like I always have. He knows that and respects that and we’ll be fine.’’
Maybe during training camp but more likely close to the trade deadline, look for Redick to get moved in a package for young players/picks. Because that is how you rebuild. But Redick shouldn’t feel too bad as he will have a lot of suitors approaching him next summer.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28