Redick would like to stay in Orlando, may not have choice

Sep 24, 2012, 9:16 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Indiana Pacers - Game Two Getty Images

With the Magic having entered full-on rebuilding mode, there have been changes to the roster and more are to come. Many more.

Which brings us to veteran two-guard J.J. Redick, who is still in Orlando. For now. The Magic picked up his $6 million option for this season, so he will be back for training camp.

The question is for how long — in the last year of his deal he is a valuable trade asset for GM Rob Hennigan. But Redick told the official Magic team site he would like to stay.

“I love playing here and I love playing for Orlando. I love representing our fans and our city,’’ Redick said. “But I understand it’s a transition year for our organization. I’ve had conversations with Rob and we’re both on the same page with my future going forward. I’ve given him my commitment that as long as I’m in Orlando and wearing a Magic uniform that I’m going to be a pro and give everything like I always have. He knows that and respects that and we’ll be fine.’’

Maybe during training camp but more likely close to the trade deadline, look for Redick to get moved in a package for young players/picks. Because that is how you rebuild. But Redick shouldn’t feel too bad as he will have a lot of suitors approaching him next summer.

1. magicbucs - Sep 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM

We love us some JJ in Orlando. Especially the ladies lol

2. madnova - Sep 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I’m surprised Kahn hasn’t floated the idea of Malcom Lee/Derrick Williams for a package involving Reddick.

3. raidmagic - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Big JJ fan, hopefully he stays in Orlando so that he can teach these young guys how to be a real pro and do the things needed to earn playing time. Class act.

4. ch8878 - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Kahn ? I think your thinking about the Jags dude this is Orlando Magic completely different sport, league and area.

• snoopy2014 - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Nope, he’s right. Kahn is the GM of the Timberwolves. Khan is the owner of the Jags.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches