Gordon Hayward’s goal this year: Make the All-Star Game

Sep 24, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT

Gordon Hayward AP

By the end of last season, Gordon Hayward had worked his way into the starting lineup of the Utah Jazz. While there had been questions about Hayward when the forward came out of Butler, he had proven to be a solid starter on a good Jazz team, providing 11.8 points a game and scoring from three and inside.

Now he enters his third year — when a lot of players make a leap in performance levels — and he has set big goals for himself. Really big goals, he told the Deseret News.

“I think I’ve shown that I belong in the league. It’s something that you work for and you work towards,” Hayward said. “Now I think I know that I belong and everything. Now you push yourself even further, try and become an All-Star. That’s definitely a goal of mine, but I think first and foremost I think if we were to win games that will help that out.”

Hayward is a ways away from All-Star status — last year his improvements moved him up to solid NBA player. His PER was right at the league average. He got to the line more last year and dished out more assists, but as he took on more of the offensive load his shooting percentages dropped (he went from 47 percent from three as a rookie to 34 percent last year). Hayward needs to adjust.

I like that sets the goal, and he’s right about this — to get noticed not only is he going to have to improve but the Jazz are going to have to win more games. Team success is part of the equation. But good luck.

1. tastybasslines - Sep 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM

If Gordon Heyward makes the All Star game this year, I’ll let my wife kick me in the balls, post it on you tube and comeback here and post the link to it.

2. tcclark - Sep 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM

He said making the All-Star game was a goal. He didn’t say anything about this year. Many players have goals for their career and i’d say all of them want to be an all-star. This is only news because you’re putting words in his mouth.

• tastybasslines - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Ummm, read the title of the article again pal.

“Gordon Hayward’s goal this year: Make the All-Star Game”

3. 00maltliquor - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I’m willing to put up a rack saying this guy will never make one AS team in his career.

• dexterismyhero - Sep 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM

How about you put up yourr wife’s Rack?

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview