Sep 24, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
By the end of last season, Gordon Hayward had worked his way into the starting lineup of the Utah Jazz. While there had been questions about Hayward when the forward came out of Butler, he had proven to be a solid starter on a good Jazz team, providing 11.8 points a game and scoring from three and inside.
Now he enters his third year — when a lot of players make a leap in performance levels — and he has set big goals for himself. Really big goals, he told the Deseret News.
“I think I’ve shown that I belong in the league. It’s something that you work for and you work towards,” Hayward said. “Now I think I know that I belong and everything. Now you push yourself even further, try and become an All-Star. That’s definitely a goal of mine, but I think first and foremost I think if we were to win games that will help that out.”
Hayward is a ways away from All-Star status — last year his improvements moved him up to solid NBA player. His PER was right at the league average. He got to the line more last year and dished out more assists, but as he took on more of the offensive load his shooting percentages dropped (he went from 47 percent from three as a rookie to 34 percent last year). Hayward needs to adjust.
I like that sets the goal, and he’s right about this — to get noticed not only is he going to have to improve but the Jazz are going to have to win more games. Team success is part of the equation. But good luck.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31