Sep 23, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
Rasheed Wallace, coming back from the… wherever he was during retirement, to join the Knicks?
It sounds like an Isiah Thomas fantasy that only James Dolan would find interesting, but it is apparently closer to reality than you might think, tweets ESPN’s Ric Bucher.
NBA news: Rasheed Wallace working out at NYK practice facility w/Camby and Kurt Thomas. Knicks’ considering.
— Ric Bucher (@RicBucher) September 23, 2012
Remember that last season, around January, both the Lakers and Heat took a look at Wallace, then both decided to pass.
I don’t think the question is “can ‘Sheed still help a team as the third big off the bench?” Remember when last we saw ‘Sheed, he was maybe the Celtics’ best player in a Game 7 loss to the Lakers in the 2010 NBA finals. He’s can score and defend in the paint but has shooting range out to the three point line. When he walked away from the game at age 35 he was still a serviceable big man
The question has been what kind of shape is he in after a couple years off? Let’s be honest, Sheed didn’t exactly love the practice and conditioning parts of the NBA grind before.
He wouldn’t have to play a lot, the Knicks have Tyson Chandler starting at the five and Marcus Camby behind him, plus they already have Kurt Thomas in the “aging big man who can still play some” slot. Josh Harrellson is gone, so maybe Sheed can be an older version of him.
We’ve been down the “will he/won’t he?” road with Sheed a few times. I’d say it’s not likely, but this is the Knicks. So maybe. Pretty much no outcome would surprise me.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona