Sep 23, 2012, 11:04 AM EST
Rasheed Wallace, coming back from the… wherever he was during retirement, to join the Knicks?
It sounds like an Isiah Thomas fantasy that only James Dolan would find interesting, but it is apparently closer to reality than you might think, tweets ESPN’s Ric Bucher.
NBA news: Rasheed Wallace working out at NYK practice facility w/Camby and Kurt Thomas. Knicks’ considering.
— Ric Bucher (@RicBucher) September 23, 2012
Remember that last season, around January, both the Lakers and Heat took a look at Wallace, then both decided to pass.
I don’t think the question is “can ‘Sheed still help a team as the third big off the bench?” Remember when last we saw ‘Sheed, he was maybe the Celtics’ best player in a Game 7 loss to the Lakers in the 2010 NBA finals. He’s can score and defend in the paint but has shooting range out to the three point line. When he walked away from the game at age 35 he was still a serviceable big man
The question has been what kind of shape is he in after a couple years off? Let’s be honest, Sheed didn’t exactly love the practice and conditioning parts of the NBA grind before.
He wouldn’t have to play a lot, the Knicks have Tyson Chandler starting at the five and Marcus Camby behind him, plus they already have Kurt Thomas in the “aging big man who can still play some” slot. Josh Harrellson is gone, so maybe Sheed can be an older version of him.
We’ve been down the “will he/won’t he?” road with Sheed a few times. I’d say it’s not likely, but this is the Knicks. So maybe. Pretty much no outcome would surprise me.
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 8
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13