Sep 23, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
The Knicks are going to miss Iman Shumpert early this season. Of that there can be no doubt. He’s got too much athleticism and defensive ability, and they need some youth on a roster with a world full of older guys.
Shumpert’s out following ACL surgery and his prognosis has put in a wide variety of possible return dates. But the New York Times reports that based on his progress, he could be headed back to the floor before the end of the year.
All signs Saturday suggested that Shumpert’s rehabilitation this off-season has gone well. He will still miss the start of the regular season, but it appears Shumpert could possibly return in December if his recovery is ahead of schedule.
Last week, Shumpert said he hoped to play in December, but that he doesn’t want to come back too early from his injury.
A December return would be very helpful for the Knicks since that gives him time to get his conditioning up in time for the playoffs. But Shumpert has so much career in front of him, there has to be a great deal of patience shown. They can’t let the future get ahead of him, but they have the depth with Ronnie Brewer and J.R. Smith to be careful.
If they can get him back even by January, that sets them up well to have him integrated and at least 80 percent by the time the playoff starts. They need all their weapons if they want to reach as high as they have set their goals.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 5
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 18
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 53
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65