Sep 22, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
That’s right, I’m doing a prospective Executive of the Year post in September. Training camp doesn’t start for a week. What do you want from me?
Mikhail Prokhorov told reporters this week, via the New York Post:
Prokhorov on the job @bkdefend did retooling the @brooklynnets roster: “I think, I’m sure, I do believe he’ll be the GM of the year.”
Is this thing a lock? No team will make a greater gain in wins next season. The Timberwolves went up marginally last year so a jump this year is expected but won’t be as dramatic. The Warriors may actually have put together a greater improvement and a smarter long-term roster, but they don’t have the market or starpower that the Nets do. Any other team would be a massive surprise.
So you have to think that King will wind up getting it, just based on team improvement. It’s kind of an odd choice, considering the GMs vote on it, and they all know that long-term the Nets have put a pretty hard ceiling on themselves and it’s not one of a championship. They’ll be great, but it would take moving a massive contract for either an aging or underwhelming player for them to throw in a piece that leads to a championship.
But there’s the other scenario. They just click, and the chemistry makes them an unlikely title contender. I can’t see it happening but God knows that doesn’t mean it can’t come out that way.
And the bigger result may be this: There may be simply no one else who seems like a good choice.
Possible exceptions: Rod Thorn, Masai Ujiri
Note: How amazing would it be if Arron Afflalo jetpacked into a superstar while Glen Davis got himself together and the Magic made a playoff run and Rob Hennigan won? It’s never going to happen, but oh the justice.
Note 2 (Update): If Dwight Howard comes back earlier than expected and the Lakers don’t have any injury issues and they win as many games as is likely. Mitch Kupchak is certainly a strong candidate.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30