Sep 21, 2012, 7:47 AM EST
There were questions about Masai Ujiri as a general manager when the Nuggets hired him. He seemed a bit of a reach, someone who hadn’t had a lot of experience and that raised a few eyebrows around the league.
But Ujiri has answered every question, looked smart in the role and reshaped a roster following the Carmelo Anthony trade. Then this summer Ujiri pulled in Andre Iguodala as part of the Dwight Howard trade his best move yet.
The 76ers are still looking for a GM to come in and replace Rod Thorn next year, and they went after Ujiri, according to Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
The 76ers were granted permission to talk to Ujiri earlier in the summer, but he ultimately resisted what would’ve been a lucrative package to replace Sixers president and GM Rod Thorn, sources said….
The Sixers’ ownership group had believed it could lure Ujiri, one of the lowest-paid GMs in the league, with a $2 million-plus annual package, sources said. Nevertheless, Ujiri’s strong relationship and trust in Denver president Josh Kroenke and owner Stan Kroenke, as well as his investment in a promising roster, led him to stay the course in Denver.
Denver kept Ujiri this time, but Philly will not be the only team to come calling. The Nuggets and the Kroenke family are going to have to pay up to keep Ujiri long term.
So, where does all this leave Philly?
The 76ers have narrowed the search and appear to be leaning toward promoting assistant GM Tony DiLeo to the GM job, league sources said. The 76ers had considered former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower, but as the Philadelphia Inquirer recently reported, DiLeo has emerged as the favorite to take over for Thorn.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 4
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8