Sep 21, 2012, 7:47 AM EDT
There were questions about Masai Ujiri as a general manager when the Nuggets hired him. He seemed a bit of a reach, someone who hadn’t had a lot of experience and that raised a few eyebrows around the league.
But Ujiri has answered every question, looked smart in the role and reshaped a roster following the Carmelo Anthony trade. Then this summer Ujiri pulled in Andre Iguodala as part of the Dwight Howard trade his best move yet.
The 76ers are still looking for a GM to come in and replace Rod Thorn next year, and they went after Ujiri, according to Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
The 76ers were granted permission to talk to Ujiri earlier in the summer, but he ultimately resisted what would’ve been a lucrative package to replace Sixers president and GM Rod Thorn, sources said….
The Sixers’ ownership group had believed it could lure Ujiri, one of the lowest-paid GMs in the league, with a $2 million-plus annual package, sources said. Nevertheless, Ujiri’s strong relationship and trust in Denver president Josh Kroenke and owner Stan Kroenke, as well as his investment in a promising roster, led him to stay the course in Denver.
Denver kept Ujiri this time, but Philly will not be the only team to come calling. The Nuggets and the Kroenke family are going to have to pay up to keep Ujiri long term.
So, where does all this leave Philly?
The 76ers have narrowed the search and appear to be leaning toward promoting assistant GM Tony DiLeo to the GM job, league sources said. The 76ers had considered former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower, but as the Philadelphia Inquirer recently reported, DiLeo has emerged as the favorite to take over for Thorn.
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 4
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 23
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 56
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11