Hardaway says Derrick Rose should take his time coming back

Sep 21, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT

Tim Hardaway Getty Images

Not many people can speak to what Derrick Rose is going through — a hard-luck Chicago kid that grows up to be a young NBA franchise player, his star is on the rise then he suffers a freak, non-contact, major knee injury with a torn ACL.

Tim Hardaway can.

The Chicago native with one of the best crossovers the game has ever seen was a three-time All-Star and a force until a non-contact 1993 ACL tear cost him a season. Hardaway bounced back and was a smarter, more efficient player on his return. But he was never quite the same.

Hardaway told Jared Zwerling writing for ESPNChicago.com that Rose needs to consider sitting out an entire season (hat tip SLAM).

“I’d just rather have him take his time, so he can be 100 percent, because he’s like me, running and jumping,” Hardaway told ESPNNewYork.com on Thursday.…

“His jumpshot is going to come back a lot better than what it was,” said Hardaway, who is now a community liaison and scout for the Miami Heat. “I’ll tell you that. His jumpers and his free throw percentage is going to be up. I’m telling you. That’s all you can do. You can’t do anything else, but shoot around and just shoot free throws.”

Rose has advantages that Hardaway did not — less invasive surgical techniques and a better understanding of what makes a good recovery. Back when Hardaway played your leg was immobilized after surgery for an extended time. Now they work to start getting the range of motion back as quickly as they can.

Rose likely will not miss the entire season, but both Rose and the Bulls need to be patient here. Which Rose freely admits is not one of his strengths. But this isn’t about these coming playoffs, it’s about the ones beyond that. With a healthy Rose the Bulls are contenders for a long time. That has to be the foucs, not racing back for a February regular season game (when he still won’t be fully right).

We’ll probably have a lot more of this discussion before Rose’s return sometime after the All-Star game.

1. krockog1 - Sep 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM

If D Rose is smart he will do what Penny just said and stay out the whole year and get his leg well. The bulls are not the same team he played wit. They need to make some moves to get back where they were. This Bulls team is not a playoff team even wit D Rose.

• vakerowero619 - Sep 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM

U got the wrong Hardway, Penny is the other Hardway

• dabears4life - Sep 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM

That isnt Penny Hardaway to start. That is Tim Hardaway. Secondly, this Bulls team is definitely a playoff team w/ D Rose and in my opinion is still a playoff team while he is out. Contender w/ out Rose – definitely not. But still a playoff team. Thirdly, Rose definitely needs to take his time. We want him to be a Bull for a long, long time, which will give him ample opportunity to bring the championship back to Chi town. All Bulls fans have his back and absolutely love him for the player and most importantly the person that he is and has came to be. Be well and get well D rose. Can’t wait to see you shred on the court again, my friend!

• justbhouse2 - Sep 21, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Not make the playoffs, cmon kid. Have you looked at the Eastern Conference Teams sure to make the playoffs;
      Heat
      Celtics
      Knicks
      Pacers
      76ers
      Hawks (Horton and Smith should be enough)

You must be a Nets, Bucks or Wizards fan because the Magic, Cavs, Pistons, Raptors, and Bobcats have virtually no chance

2. jordanismyidol - Sep 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM

D rose will be fine

3. progress2011 - Sep 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM

To all the Chi Town fans, let me start by saying, I support D. Rose! I am a personal fan of any person that exhibits the highest levels of humility and thankfulness. ESPECIALLY when you are a very skilled, multi-millionaire and you could very easily be a cocky jerk (aka kobe).

But with all due respect to the Bulls and D. Rose, I agree with several other posters that, Chicago will probably not make the playoffs.

I mean, the Bulls front office gutted the team. What’s left:
    Noah
    Boozer
    Deng
    Hamilton
    Hinrich

These guys might not win 40 games. I’m just being real, wit cha.

Take this year off (Rose can’t play anyway) then get in the pool to get Dwight Howard, since he still has not committed to the lakers. The Bulls probably have a BUNCH of money, in their coffers !

Rose + Howard, then you working with something ! I will be the first to get on the bandwagon!

4. ksyeszir - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Justbhouse2 idk if you were goin in order or not but I’d put the pacers over the Knicks and probably even the celtics. The hawks should be able to get a low seed but I’d put them in the maybe category and the wizards should be in the virtually no chance category. The bulls should have no problem getting atleast the 7 seed with or without rose this season but as a bulls fan it hurts to say that this is pretty much a throw away season. I’ll still be watching and cheerin on my team but I’d be surprised if they get past the first round of the playoffs. Wish they’d amnesty boozer already, taj needs a shot at starting n this would be a good year to give him a chance.

5. buffalo65 - Sep 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Raptors have no chance,??you will eat those words. Beware the sleeping Canadian Giant.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches