Sep 21, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
I think we’re all interested in what the New Orleans Hornets can become — they have a potential franchise anchor big man in Anthony Davis we get to watch unfold. And they have an elite young shooting guard in Eric Gordon. Around them are pieces — like just drafted Austin Rivers — who are going to get a chance to be part of that mix.
Gordon is excited too, as he should be. It’s just his timeline for when things are going to happen is a little faster than ours. Or likely reality. Here is what he told the Times-Picayune (via Ball Don’t Lie):
“We have a lot of young talented players who will be very good for us,” Gordon said. “This is a long-term process; it’s not a year or two where we’re going to be a championship caliber of team. I’m just looking forward to being in the playoffs this year and many more years of possibly getting a championship.”
The Hornets are going to be better, they are not going to have the worst record in the Western Conference again. Probably. But the Western Conference is deep — teams like Minnesota and Dallas are likely fighting for final playoff positions. Love Gordon, excited about the Hornets, but they are not there yet.
I know, what else is Gordon supposed to say? It’s what fans in the Big Easy want to hear. Good for him.
We’re going to live in the real world on this blog, and the Hornets are a year away from the playoffs. Then we’ll build from there.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20