Sep 21, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
I think we’re all interested in what the New Orleans Hornets can become — they have a potential franchise anchor big man in Anthony Davis we get to watch unfold. And they have an elite young shooting guard in Eric Gordon. Around them are pieces — like just drafted Austin Rivers — who are going to get a chance to be part of that mix.
Gordon is excited too, as he should be. It’s just his timeline for when things are going to happen is a little faster than ours. Or likely reality. Here is what he told the Times-Picayune (via Ball Don’t Lie):
“We have a lot of young talented players who will be very good for us,” Gordon said. “This is a long-term process; it’s not a year or two where we’re going to be a championship caliber of team. I’m just looking forward to being in the playoffs this year and many more years of possibly getting a championship.”
The Hornets are going to be better, they are not going to have the worst record in the Western Conference again. Probably. But the Western Conference is deep — teams like Minnesota and Dallas are likely fighting for final playoff positions. Love Gordon, excited about the Hornets, but they are not there yet.
I know, what else is Gordon supposed to say? It’s what fans in the Big Easy want to hear. Good for him.
We’re going to live in the real world on this blog, and the Hornets are a year away from the playoffs. Then we’ll build from there.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 5
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3