Dwight Howard says decision to stay in L.A. comes after season

Sep 21, 2012, 10:26 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard speaks during a press conference at the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo, California Reuters

Nobody around the league really thinks Dwight Howard is going leave the Los Angeles Lakers at the end of the season. Howard’s people had said this was a “trial season” in Los Angeles, but nobody really believes it.

For one, the guy just went through a nine-month public relations disaster trying to force his way out of Orlando. Turning around and starting the free agency process over again would not help his image. Plus, he’s in a big market that will pay him max money, where he has national and international endorsement opportunities, and where he can win. Also, he’s close to Disneyland. What else can he want?

That said, Howard is not signing an extension in Los Angeles — one of the quirks (one of the flaws, really) of the new CBA is that players can get a bigger contract becoming a free agent and re-signing with the same team than they can just signing an extension. They get one more guaranteed year and bigger raises. So Howard is going to wait.

All that means when Howard is asked about staying with the Lakers — as Fox Sports asked him recently as part of a wide-ranging interview — Howard is non-committal. Mostly.

“I think the best thing to do is talk about it at the end of the year,” Howard said confidentially despite seeing his basketball mortality up close a few months ago with the spinal surgery. “We just went through that last season, basically, and I don’t want to go through it again or see anyone have to go through it.

“This is going to be my decision, and I’m going to wait till the end of the year. But I’m happy to be in L.A. This is a great place. I love the coaching staff and I love the organization for everything they’ve done for me since I got traded here.

“Hopefully I’ll have a long career here in L.A.”

He’s going to be asked this roughly 652,985 times over the course of this season, he needs to stick with some variation of this same answer. “I’m not making any decisions until after the season. I love LA but am focused on winning a title right now.” He needs the Crash Davis lesson in practicing his clichés.

We’ll see how that goes. But next summer, don’t expect him to move on again.

1. manchestermiracle - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

He was close to Disney World in Orlando. Just Kurt’s way of saying he thinks Howard is pretty Mickey Mouse, eh?

2. skids003 - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

He needs all the money he can make to pay of his posse.

3. paulhargis53 - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Oh. My. God!!!!
    Someone get manchestermiracle a douche. He really needs to irrigate the sand out of his vagina.

Dude you are such a bitch!

• manchestermiracle - Sep 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM

With your hysterical level of misogyny, Paul, I’m guessing you’re terminally single….

4. losangeleschargers17 - Sep 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Hey LakersLuver, have fun having the highest paid roster funded by ignorant fans like yourself, and only to watch the clippers beat you in the playoffs.

5. crtzinc - Sep 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Good Laker Article Kurt, nothing bias just the facts.

• somekat - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:32 PM

it wasn’t a lakers article. It was a Dwight Howard article, he just happens to play for them

6. lakersinceyoung - Sep 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Paul 53re I see that you attack people for there opinion also , I’ve been here for months never comment but I noticed you always on lakerluvers jock ,this guy is only a fan but you repeativly attack him and anyone who likes lakers , why ?

• lakerdownunder - Sep 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I think people need to realise that Paulhargis53 is just a blogging troll with the intent of gaining notirighty but stirring other bloggers up. He has no other agenda than that.

What a pathetic life he must lead that he gets his thrills by laying crap on people over the Internet.

Pity him, don’t engage him.

7. 91devinhester23 - Sep 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM

sure he’s next to disneyland.. but he just passed on disneyworld

8. paulhargis53 - Sep 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I dont attack ALL of them. I go after the moronic over the top fans.

Manchester has been crying for 3 days straight about Kurt Helins supposed bias against the lakers. It’s sickening. It’s also sickening that if you don’t think L.A. is going to go 78-4 , you’re a hater, if you don’t think Kobe is the greatest of all time, you’re a hater. There is no debate. Either you agree with them or you’re a hater.

That is why I’m after lakerluver so much.
    He’s so over the top, thinks he’s smarter than everyone , is so blindly biased.
    The guy doesn’t even know the history of his team, he thinks the NBA only started counting when he jumped the bandwagon when Magic was there.

Oh, but he’ll remember history when he wa.ts to throw titles in people’s faces though.
    He is a horrible fan. He lives vicariously through his team.
    I seem to have chased him away, which is great. Or he changed his screen name.

By the way, he started in on me 1st, calling me an idiot because I didn’t agree Kobe was the greatest. He barked up the wrong tree.
    He’s a dunce that I will ridicule every chance I get. Is it petty? Of course it is.
    Do I enjoy doing it ? Hell yes! It passes time at work.
    People like him need the abuse, he invites it and then plays it off like he’s innocent.

I’m sorry it bothers you, but watch some of these turds in action once. It’s lime fingernails on a chalkboard.

9. mazblast - Sep 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Can someone tell me why we should ever believe anything that comes out of Dwight Howard’s mouth?

I’d say that he changes his mind more that most people change their underwear, but that would be giving him credit for having a mind–and I’ve seen little evidence for that.

10. paulhargis53 - Sep 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

downunder: You know nothing about me or my life. You can go ahead and put your psychoanalyst hat away.

You could have just butted out, but you had to defend(Lord knows why) Good ol’ LL. I deride him because he’s a senseless know nothing homer.
    What you don’t seem to realize, or remember is that he engaged me 1st. I didn’t agree with him on Kobe being greatest of all time. He fired the 1st shot, he tossed the 1st insult. He chose the wrong guy to pick a fight with.

I don’t care what you think of me, why would I? Just remember he brought it on himself. He invites abuse.

How you can defend that waste of skin is beyond me.

11. eugenesaxe - Sep 21, 2012 at 7:17 PM

THIS JUST IN: howard promises to re-sign with th…
    THIS JUST IN: howard demands to be traded.

12. dysraw1 - Sep 21, 2012 at 7:17 PM

DH. owes no one anything, its crazy people defend Lebron for not wanting to stay in Clev. yet this guy gets all kind of derogatory names thrown his way because he doesn’t want to be in Orlando. what was the guy suppose to do, stay where he was unhappy, would you stay and continue to work where you were unhappy.

• somekat - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Yeah, Lebron didn’t get any flak for how he left Cleveland

Not on the planet at the time?

13. fanz928 - Sep 21, 2012 at 8:15 PM

He’s going to brooklyn with more and more important a 8 yr window with d will

• somekat - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Did Joe Johnson’s contract run out at the end of the year?

If not, they won’t be signing Howard, give it up

14. somekat - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Was I the only one who read “he just saw his own basketball mortality”, and originally read it as “he just saw his own basketball morality”? Then had to read it again because it made no sense?

Must be subliminal

15. drewdatwit84 - Sep 22, 2012 at 7:46 AM

The difference is LeBron finished out his contract. The only thing LeBron really did wrong was “The Decision”.
    Howard BITCHED HIS WAY OUT. trashed his coach, begged to leave, saw the vitriol so changed his mind and signed an extension, then turned RIGHT AROUND against the extension and BITCHED TO LEAVE AGAIN!, and got two ppl fired in the process.

He used to be my favorite center, until he joined the only team i hate more than Lucifer/Satan/The Devil Himself. I hope he never wind a ring, i hope the lakers suck and HE gets blamed for ALL of it.

16. paulhargis53 - Sep 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

You guess wrong manchester. But if it makes you feel better to think so, be my guest. You’re about as good at psychoanalysis as you are at posting on a sports blog website.

17. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Sep 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Just because Howard the PERSON is a Laker doesn’t mean I already like him.

But I’m happy to know that Howard the PLAYER is a Laker.

18. lofipatrick - Sep 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM

“Turning around and starting the free agency process over again would not help his image.”
    …something he’s always seemed pretty concerned with.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches