Sep 21, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT
They are talking. But if I were a betting man I would bet the open market is going to determine Taj Gibson’s worth.
The two sides are talking, reports Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com — but there is a deadline, if there is no agreement by Oct. 31 Gibson will be a restricted free agent next summer.
“It’s something we’ve been talking about for a while,” Gibson’s agent, Chicago-based Mark Bartelstein, told CSNChicago.com. “Gar and I have been putting a lot of work in.
“Taj would love to be a Bull for a long time, there’s no question about that.”
This really becomes about money. The Bulls are clearly setting themselves up to clear out cap space in 2014 to make a run at a major free agent (or to make a big trade) to pair with Rose. Gibson might well be the kind of guy they want around as a third option on that kind of team, but at what price?
Sam reports the Bulls do want to keep him.
Privately, the Bulls’ brain trust values Gibson very highly and acknowledge he’s a keeper, but if Gibson and the Bulls don’t agree to terms by Halloween, he’ll hit the open market next summer, albeit as a restricted free agent. Gibson won’t lack for suitors if he becomes a free agent, especially after raising his profile with another strong postseason performance, followed by an outing with the USA Basketball Select Team that drew raves from observers.
It’s a risk for the Bulls, if they don’t sign him and Gibson takes another step forward this season then he becomes more expensive when the suitors come calling.
It’s something to watch. My guess is he hits the open market.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13