Sep 20, 2012, 3:03 PM EST
Glen Taylor’s priority in selling the Timberwolves is to find someone who will keep them in Minnesota and is willing to learn the business from him. Said investor would start by purchasing a quarter of the team, then mentor under Taylor as he buys more and more over time until he owned more than half.
He thought he had his man, but it turns out the search is not going quickly.
While people have lined up to talk to Taylor, he hasn’t found the right one, he told the Pioneer Press.
In July, Taylor said he and a prospective buyer “sort of” had an understanding for a deal before the coming season. Taylor would remain a minority partner in the Wolves. He said then that the new partner probably would come in as a 25 percent investor, then gradually buy more than 50 percent of the team. Those terms haven’t changed, Taylor said.
Taylor wouldn’t reveal the new interested parties, but including the initial prospect there now are believed to be three inquiring about obtaining majority interest in the Wolves.
“I continue to meet with several different parties who appear to have interest in completing a deal,” he said. “I’ll be patient and see if it works out.”
Taylor, a Minnesota senator, is not the kind of guy looking to just sell the team to someone looking to move it. Sorry Seattle.
Expect this to be a slow process. But Taylor’s efforts to find a buyer are ongoing.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 11
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 13