Sep 20, 2012, 3:03 PM EST
Glen Taylor’s priority in selling the Timberwolves is to find someone who will keep them in Minnesota and is willing to learn the business from him. Said investor would start by purchasing a quarter of the team, then mentor under Taylor as he buys more and more over time until he owned more than half.
He thought he had his man, but it turns out the search is not going quickly.
While people have lined up to talk to Taylor, he hasn’t found the right one, he told the Pioneer Press.
In July, Taylor said he and a prospective buyer “sort of” had an understanding for a deal before the coming season. Taylor would remain a minority partner in the Wolves. He said then that the new partner probably would come in as a 25 percent investor, then gradually buy more than 50 percent of the team. Those terms haven’t changed, Taylor said.
Taylor wouldn’t reveal the new interested parties, but including the initial prospect there now are believed to be three inquiring about obtaining majority interest in the Wolves.
“I continue to meet with several different parties who appear to have interest in completing a deal,” he said. “I’ll be patient and see if it works out.”
Taylor, a Minnesota senator, is not the kind of guy looking to just sell the team to someone looking to move it. Sorry Seattle.
Expect this to be a slow process. But Taylor’s efforts to find a buyer are ongoing.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 14
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 7
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)