Sep 20, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
Glen Taylor’s priority in selling the Timberwolves is to find someone who will keep them in Minnesota and is willing to learn the business from him. Said investor would start by purchasing a quarter of the team, then mentor under Taylor as he buys more and more over time until he owned more than half.
He thought he had his man, but it turns out the search is not going quickly.
While people have lined up to talk to Taylor, he hasn’t found the right one, he told the Pioneer Press.
In July, Taylor said he and a prospective buyer “sort of” had an understanding for a deal before the coming season. Taylor would remain a minority partner in the Wolves. He said then that the new partner probably would come in as a 25 percent investor, then gradually buy more than 50 percent of the team. Those terms haven’t changed, Taylor said.
Taylor wouldn’t reveal the new interested parties, but including the initial prospect there now are believed to be three inquiring about obtaining majority interest in the Wolves.
“I continue to meet with several different parties who appear to have interest in completing a deal,” he said. “I’ll be patient and see if it works out.”
Taylor, a Minnesota senator, is not the kind of guy looking to just sell the team to someone looking to move it. Sorry Seattle.
Expect this to be a slow process. But Taylor’s efforts to find a buyer are ongoing.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 76
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20