Thursday And-1 links: What NBA players could play in NFL?

Sep 20, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT

s-LEBRON-JAMES-FOOTBALL-large300

Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.

• There are a handful of NBA players who you see in the locker room and think “that guy has an NFL physique.” Dime Magazine put together a list of to 10 NBA players who could play in the NFL. I wholly disagree with Kevin Durant being on that list — tall and thin just says “target an NFL safety thinks he can break in two.” I get LeBron James, he has the physical tools, but we can debate if he would be able to handle the contact. They don’t have Metta World Peace listed and to me he has both the size and bulk, plus the mentality to make it work as like a linebacker.

• In a surprise to absolutely nobody, the Clippers picked up the option on Eric Bledsoe. Expect him to play a bigger role with the Clippers this year.

• Jonas Valanciunas said that he’s “ready” for the NBA. Which is good, because Raptors fans have high expectations for him.

• Be careful reading much into this, but here is a report saying Tyrus Thomas gained 20 pounds of muscle this summer.

• One of the more interesting bits of summer advice I’ve heard: Rockets coach Kevin McHale told Terrence Jones to work on hitting open shots.

Tony Parker shows his nipple on French television, in solidarity with Kate Middleton. (Part of the fun of this job is that every day I get to write a sentence I never thought I would write — that is today’s entry.)

• Also Parker is really not happy with the scouts on the French team he owns.

• Don’t expect Raja Bell to show up for Jazz training camp.

• Go ahead, try and keep up with Goran Dragic‘s workout.

A Q&A with former No. 1 overall pick and Showtime Lakers player Mychal Thompson (who is now a Lakers broadcaster and Los Angeles radio host). Great question about him having to challenge former Minnesota Golden Gopher teammate Kevin McHale in those epic Lakers/Celtics showdowns.

• Forward Derrick Brown has reached a training camp deal with the Spurs.

• Center  Hamady N’diaye reached a training camp deal with Sacramento.

Terrence Williams reached a training camp deal with the Detroit Pistons.

• And we end with a very detailed video comparison of Kobe’s 81 point game and Michael Jordan’s 69 point game via BBallBreakdown.com.

1. 00maltliquor - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Craig Smith.

2. shivablast - Sep 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM

You think Meta World Peace has the physique to be an NFL linebacker? What are you smoking, and why aren’t you sharing?

3. cosanostra71 - Sep 21, 2012 at 12:16 AM

this question gets asked every year around this time, and I always wonder why more people don’t mention Nate Robinson. He chose basketball over football after his freshman year at UW, where he had a crucial fourth quarter interception that led to the game-tying drive in the Apple Cup rivalry game.

4. manchestermiracle - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Andrew Bynum. He’s got a pretty good DL’s forearm shiver.

5. bougin89 - Sep 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

As far as the NBA players playing in the NFL:

Nate Robinson- Totally agree, he’d be great in the secondary or maybe even a Darren Sproles type RB.

Kendrick Perkins- This is laughable, no way.

John Wall-I could see it, athletically and body build I think he could be in the NFL if he trained for it.

Serge Ibaka-You think anyone that is 6’10 is going to be Nnamdi Asomugha??again laughable, Ibaka physically couldn’t play in the NFL, nobody that tall can get low enough to tackle and would take way too many hits to the knees as a TE. Just not fast enough to be in the NFL.

Steve Nash-I don’t think his back would hold up in the NFL if it can’t in the NBA but who knows, I think he would have the smarts to be a QB, he might have to be able to throw a football though??a pretty big stretch here.

Derek Rose-I think he could be a CB or WR, I would NOT compare him to Marshawn Lynch though.

Dwyane Wade-Physically speaking he would be athletic enough to be in the NFL I would think.

Rajon Rondo-I would compare him to RGlll if he can actually throw(big question that I don’t know the answer to). More athletic than Rodgers.

Kevin Durant-No, absolutely not. Makes the writer of the article seem ignorant at best. Durant wouldn’t last in the NFL and wouldn’t be even close to strong enough to beat press coverage. An NFL team could blanket him easy, very easy.

Lebron James- As a TE or mayble pass rushing OLB I could see it. Might be too tall though but combination of strength and speed oh yeah.

6. 13fitzj - Sep 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I’m sorry but there’s no way in hell that Durant would last in the NFL. And comparing Ibaka to Nnamdi Asomugha??? I’m sure Ibaka is nowhere near fast enough to be a DB. Pierre-Paul would be a much better comparison.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches