Sep 20, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT
Heart screening of NBA players is a regular part of their pre-training camp physicals. It is what found Jeff Green’s heart condition that needed surgery last season. A number of other NBA players such as Ronny Turiaf have faced the same thing.
Now Suns forward Channing Frye is out indefinitely with an enlarged heart, the team announced. It was discovered by team doctors, but he has gone to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota to have this looked at, reports Paul Coro at the Arizona Republic.
The team says he will not “participate in basketball activities” with the Suns until December, when he will be re-evaluated. The official diagnosis is of a dilated cardiomyopathy, a condition that can be fatal and is usually treated with a drug regimen, according to the Mayo Clinic Web site.
Frye has been a starter with the Suns most of the past couple seasons, averaging 10.6 points and 5.9 rebounds a game last season. He’s a classic stretch four, a 6-foot-11 guy who is a career 39 percent shooter from three. That kind of play fit well with the drive-and-dish game of Steve Nash. While things were going to be different in Phoenix this year, they were looking for him to provide points.
While this is sad for the Suns, Frye is a husband and a father of two, so better to catch this than have it go undetected and for things to end poorly. We wish him the best in his recovery and look forward to seeing him back out on the court as soon as he can.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars