Sep 20, 2012, 6:54 PM EST
Heart screening of NBA players is a regular part of their pre-training camp physicals. It is what found Jeff Green’s heart condition that needed surgery last season. A number of other NBA players such as Ronny Turiaf have faced the same thing.
Now Suns forward Channing Frye is out indefinitely with an enlarged heart, the team announced. It was discovered by team doctors, but he has gone to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota to have this looked at, reports Paul Coro at the Arizona Republic.
The team says he will not “participate in basketball activities” with the Suns until December, when he will be re-evaluated. The official diagnosis is of a dilated cardiomyopathy, a condition that can be fatal and is usually treated with a drug regimen, according to the Mayo Clinic Web site.
Frye has been a starter with the Suns most of the past couple seasons, averaging 10.6 points and 5.9 rebounds a game last season. He’s a classic stretch four, a 6-foot-11 guy who is a career 39 percent shooter from three. That kind of play fit well with the drive-and-dish game of Steve Nash. While things were going to be different in Phoenix this year, they were looking for him to provide points.
While this is sad for the Suns, Frye is a husband and a father of two, so better to catch this than have it go undetected and for things to end poorly. We wish him the best in his recovery and look forward to seeing him back out on the court as soon as he can.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 21
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)