Sep 20, 2012, 8:36 AM EDT
Darko Milicic a Celtic?
Stranger things have happened. Not many, but the fact you know who Snooki is proves anything is possible.
We know that Milicic has been looking for an NBA job since being amnestied by the Timberwolves this summer, but is one of the veterans finding the market tight. He had returned to his native Serbia but a report out of Europe has him coming back stateside to ink an NBA deal, reports Sportando (a great source of European basketball news).
Darko Milicic, as reported by Novosti.rs, is flying to the States and he will likely sign his new contract in the NBA in the coming days. The Boston Celtics are the favorite to sign the Serbian player who turned down a three-year, $6M offer from Real Madrid in the summer because he wants to play in the NBA.
First, I recommend taking this rumor with salt. I prefer Kosher salt but if you have a sea salt with some nice mineral flavoring that will work as well. Just be sure to use it liberally here.
If Milicic did turn down a $6 million offer from Real Madrid then he is willing to take less to come back to the NBA. He likely only gets a one year deal (maybe there is a team option for a second year) at less than half of what Madrid would have paid. That said, Milicic’s agent has been clear his client wanted to return to the NBA not play overseas.
Boston plans to play small a lot this year (I’m not sure when 6’11” Kevin Garnett at center became “small” but we’ll play along). However, even teams going that route need one traditional center on the roster for defensive purposes, for when they have to go against Andrew Bynum or Roy Hibbert. Thing is, Boston already has Jason Collins for that role. Plus they have Chris Wilcox off the bench. The Celtics have no available roster spots to put anyone, and while size is always a premium I’m not sure they eat a contract to add Darko to the roster.
But stranger things have happened. Either way, Darko is coming. He is working his way back to the NBA if he can.
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 0
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 9
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 18
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 7
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final