Sep 20, 2012, 8:36 AM EDT
Darko Milicic a Celtic?
Stranger things have happened. Not many, but the fact you know who Snooki is proves anything is possible.
We know that Milicic has been looking for an NBA job since being amnestied by the Timberwolves this summer, but is one of the veterans finding the market tight. He had returned to his native Serbia but a report out of Europe has him coming back stateside to ink an NBA deal, reports Sportando (a great source of European basketball news).
Darko Milicic, as reported by Novosti.rs, is flying to the States and he will likely sign his new contract in the NBA in the coming days. The Boston Celtics are the favorite to sign the Serbian player who turned down a three-year, $6M offer from Real Madrid in the summer because he wants to play in the NBA.
First, I recommend taking this rumor with salt. I prefer Kosher salt but if you have a sea salt with some nice mineral flavoring that will work as well. Just be sure to use it liberally here.
If Milicic did turn down a $6 million offer from Real Madrid then he is willing to take less to come back to the NBA. He likely only gets a one year deal (maybe there is a team option for a second year) at less than half of what Madrid would have paid. That said, Milicic’s agent has been clear his client wanted to return to the NBA not play overseas.
Boston plans to play small a lot this year (I’m not sure when 6’11” Kevin Garnett at center became “small” but we’ll play along). However, even teams going that route need one traditional center on the roster for defensive purposes, for when they have to go against Andrew Bynum or Roy Hibbert. Thing is, Boston already has Jason Collins for that role. Plus they have Chris Wilcox off the bench. The Celtics have no available roster spots to put anyone, and while size is always a premium I’m not sure they eat a contract to add Darko to the roster.
But stranger things have happened. Either way, Darko is coming. He is working his way back to the NBA if he can.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48