Sep 20, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
It’s an interesting contrast of styles. For years the Lakers had Phil Jackson as coach and he used an economy of words but usually gave media and fans a little insight, he often said something interesting. Now Mike Brown is the coach and he likes to talk, he gives long-winded answers, but rarely reveals much in doing so.
Which brings us to Mike Brown showing up on the Lakers flagship radio station, ESPN 710 in Los Angeles, to do an interview on Wednesday. What did we learn from it (and I sat in my car at the end of a drive and listened to most of the interview)? Not much.
“His athleticism, combined with his power and strength, and his quickness, and energy is phenomenal,” Brown said. “I mean defensively here’s a guy, that in my opinion, is one of the best pick-and-roll big defenders in the game, to ever play the game. He’s one of the best paint protectors to every play the game. You know, just knowing that he’s down and around the basket is a deterrent.”
Aside that he said he likes his coaching staff, that the team has to respect the process and work hard, and that their goal is an NBA title. Which is exactly what you expected him to say. What you expect any coach to say. He seemed animated when talking about fellow University Of San Diego Toreros who have jobs around the NBA, but that was about it.
So to sum up: Dwight Howard is good. Thanks for coming, hope you enjoyed the show.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17