Keyon Dooling retires after dozen seasons in NBA

Sep 20, 2012, 5:46 PM EDT

Boston Celtics' Dooling celebrates a teammate's basket against the Miami Heat during Game 3 of their Eastern Conference Finals NBA basketball playoffs in Boston Reuters

There will be no more “What’s driving you?”

As the Boston Celtics were getting around to finalizing their roster, Keyon Dooling — who they re-signed this summer but to a one-year, non-guaranteed deal — was not going to be a part of it. Thursday they waived him.

And that has prompted Dooling to announce is retirement, the team announced.

“Keyon has decided that he has given the NBA 12 good years and that it’s time to pursue other interests and spend more time with his family,” said Dooling’s representative Kenge Stevenson in a released statement. “He will never forget his time in Boston with the Celtics.”

Dooling was a popular teammate at all his stops, in part because he was a guy who wanted to get to know his teammates. That’s what led to his “what’s driving you?” catchphrase, something he explained to Jessica Camerato at CSNNE.com.

“It’s a serious question because I want to identify what is driving you, what is motivating you?” he told CSNNE.com. “It is your family? Is it the money? Is it the glitz? Is it the glamour? Identify those so you can become better.

“So many different things [drive me], but the fear of failure is something that really motivates me. I do not want to fail. I do not want to lose. I have this thing, I can’t go back. I can’t go back. I’ve come too far. My family can’t go back to where we were. And that’s what’s driving me, to have my family landscape changed for generations.”

Dooling was the No. 10 overall pick out of Missouri by the Orlando Magic, but they instantly traded him to the Clippers where he started his career. He was a career 34.9 percent shooter from three who usually came off the bench wherever he played. Last season he shot 39 percent from three for the Celtics in the playoffs (he was their most consistant threat from deep), he was a solid veteran for the Nets before that. But those teams have gone another direction.

He never was a star but he was a solid role player around the league for his 12 years.

He made a cool $29 million over the course of his career. Not bad.

Not sure what he is doing next but we wish him the best.

1. 00maltliquor - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Solid NBA role player. Good luck to you Keyon in your next chapter in life. Go enjoy your family!

I remember the Clips with Dooling, Q, Maggette, Darius Miles, Lamar Odom, and the great Eric Piatkowski. Dope team. Never did sh!t, but was still fun to watch, even in a loss. Tickets were DIRT cheap! lol

2. sellahh - Sep 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

they dont make em like this anymore

3. 00maltliquor - Sep 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Now Kurt, if you could please be so kind as to hook it up with an Eduardo Najera send off into the sunset piece, I would be so grateful! I know he doesn’t mean much to you or anybody else on this site since he was such a marginal player who had some decent rotation player years, but he was one of my favorite players. I’m Mexican-American, and he was the only dude to rep the brown for a long time man! If Keyon can get a shout out can we please show some love for Eddy?? Don’t make me beg! I’ve been patient…

4. jjordannba - Sep 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! C’mon C’s I guess maybe they do want Dionte Christmas

5. dunkindan - Sep 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Hey maltliquor, great knowledge on Piatkowski. That man never got any credit for being the shooter he was

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches