Sep 20, 2012, 10:02 AM EST
Thunder coach Scott Brooks was being diplomatic, although there certainly is truth in coaches wanting proven leaders on their team.
And Derrick Fisher is a proven leader. He’s also a 38-year-old point guard without a contract. Fisher played with the Oklahoma City through the playoffs last year.
So, Brooks, is there a chance your team bring Fisher back for next season (via Mark Medina at the Los Angeles Times)?
“There still is,” Brooks said. “Everything is still fluid.”
Very diplomatic. The fact is the Thunder have three point guards on the roster — Russell Westbrook, Eric Maynor (who was injured through the playoffs last year) and Reggie Jackson. Maynor is a serious upgrade on the court over Fisher as a backup point guard right now.
Fisher is more likely to be a mid-season pickup by a playoff bound team that suffers injuries and is looking for a few minutes a game and a locker room presence. Not much more. His game doesn’t warrant much anymore.
But Brooks sounded like a coach when he praised Fisher (best known for his Lakers years) and what he brought to the team.
“Derek Fisher, just being around him, I can tell why he’s loved by so many people and why the Lakers won so many championships,” Brooks said. “He puts everything he has into every possession, every practice and every game. In our practices, he is 37 and he did everything we asked, every drill and every possession. He practices every day. It was great. I don’t think we could’ve gone as far as we did without him. I thought he was terrific and I love him. I really have a lot of respect for him.”
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 5
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 7
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 19
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 24
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13