Sep 20, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
Thunder coach Scott Brooks was being diplomatic, although there certainly is truth in coaches wanting proven leaders on their team.
And Derrick Fisher is a proven leader. He’s also a 38-year-old point guard without a contract. Fisher played with the Oklahoma City through the playoffs last year.
So, Brooks, is there a chance your team bring Fisher back for next season (via Mark Medina at the Los Angeles Times)?
“There still is,” Brooks said. “Everything is still fluid.”
Very diplomatic. The fact is the Thunder have three point guards on the roster — Russell Westbrook, Eric Maynor (who was injured through the playoffs last year) and Reggie Jackson. Maynor is a serious upgrade on the court over Fisher as a backup point guard right now.
Fisher is more likely to be a mid-season pickup by a playoff bound team that suffers injuries and is looking for a few minutes a game and a locker room presence. Not much more. His game doesn’t warrant much anymore.
But Brooks sounded like a coach when he praised Fisher (best known for his Lakers years) and what he brought to the team.
“Derek Fisher, just being around him, I can tell why he’s loved by so many people and why the Lakers won so many championships,” Brooks said. “He puts everything he has into every possession, every practice and every game. In our practices, he is 37 and he did everything we asked, every drill and every possession. He practices every day. It was great. I don’t think we could’ve gone as far as we did without him. I thought he was terrific and I love him. I really have a lot of respect for him.”
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15