Sep 20, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Tom Thibodeau remains in contract negotiations with the Chicago Bulls. The Bulls have picked up his contract for this coming season, but if they don’t work out an extension, he could walk next summer.
They’ll work out an extension. They will.
But negotiations — especially talks that separate Jerry Reinsdorf from his profits — are rarely quick or smooth. So the Bulls Thibodeau talks drag out and the fine folks of Chicago don’t like it. They want the man paid (because fans freely spend money that is not theirs).
“I don’t understand why they are not paying Thibs,” Barkley said… “He’s a terrific coach. Seems like a great guy. I’ve only bumped into him a couple times. I don’t know him, but he seems like a great guy and is a hell of a coach. Let me tell you this, he’ll have a job within a week if they don’t take care of him. He’s done a fantastic job.
“You look at that Bulls team, he’s not winning with the best players. He’s not winning with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. For the Bulls to have the best record (the past two seasons) and be really competitive without Derrick Rose basically for a year, he’s doing a hell of a job. He deserves more credit than the Bulls are giving him.”
That sentiment is prevalent in Chicago. And it’s not wrong — that team has taken on Thibodeau’s grinder personality. The Bulls out work you.
But Thibodeau wants to win and he knows with Rose in Chicago he has a chance unlike just about any other place he’s going to land as a coach. He isn’t looking to leave. Bulls management doesn’t want him to leave, they know they have something special.
It’s just about the Benjamins. They’ll figure it out. But it may take a while.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 0
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 4
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16