Sep 19, 2012, 11:13 AM EST
Grant Hill left Phoenix for Los Angeles, but nobody in the Valley of the Sun really holds that against him because he’s going to the Clippers and, while they certainly will be good, nobody really hates them yet. Everyone kind of shrugs at that move west.
Steve Nash going from the Suns to the hated Lakers… that’s different.
“That’s like transferring from Duke and going to Carolina.”
It’s going to be interesting to see the reaction Suns fans give Nash when he returns to Phoenix in a Lakers jersey. It’s not going to have the venom that Dwight Howard will get upon his return to Orlando, mostly because Nash handled his exit with class and most Suns fans accepted the idea of him spending the last couple years of his career chasing a ring.
But with the Lakers? That changes the vibe. Suns fans hate the Lakers. (Really, the fans of 29 teams hate the Lakers.)
I expect a more mixed reaction, because that was the one place Nash could go that it wouldn’t sit well in Phoenix.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)