Sep 19, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
Grant Hill left Phoenix for Los Angeles, but nobody in the Valley of the Sun really holds that against him because he’s going to the Clippers and, while they certainly will be good, nobody really hates them yet. Everyone kind of shrugs at that move west.
Steve Nash going from the Suns to the hated Lakers… that’s different.
“That’s like transferring from Duke and going to Carolina.”
It’s going to be interesting to see the reaction Suns fans give Nash when he returns to Phoenix in a Lakers jersey. It’s not going to have the venom that Dwight Howard will get upon his return to Orlando, mostly because Nash handled his exit with class and most Suns fans accepted the idea of him spending the last couple years of his career chasing a ring.
But with the Lakers? That changes the vibe. Suns fans hate the Lakers. (Really, the fans of 29 teams hate the Lakers.)
I expect a more mixed reaction, because that was the one place Nash could go that it wouldn’t sit well in Phoenix.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 46
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23