Chris Paul still pissed about Pau Gasol’s pat on the head

Sep 19, 2012, 12:57 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Gasol looks back at Los Angeles Clippers' Paul during their NBA preseason game in Los Angeles Reuters

First thing: You should go read the entire Chris Paul feature in GQ because it’s a good insight into one of the more grounded NBA superstars you’re going to come across. He is as competitive as Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett, but he doesn’t let that fire consume him to the point he doesn’t play smart. He’s always calm.

Which is why it was odd to see Paul lose it a little last season when, after a tough game where the Lakers beat Paul’s Clippers, Pau Gasol made what he thought was an innocent gesture and patted Paul on the head. Gasol thought it friendly, but Paul took it another way.

And months after the incident, Paul still sounded ticked when GQ’s Steve Marsh brought it up.

“We call that sonnin’, ” he explains to me. “Like when I take Li’l Chris to the bathroom, I’ll walk with my hand on his head. That’s my son. You know what I mean? I understand that Gasol is that tall, but don’t do to me what I do to my son.”

But that was followed by a moment of honest refection.

Then CP3 says something I’ve never heard any man, let alone a basketball player, say before: “I’ve been fortunate to be short my entire life.” I look puzzled, and he explains. “There’s only one position I’ve ever had to play, and that’s point guard. So I’ve always had to be that leader. And that was my job: you know, to talk.” CP3 is looking me straight in the eye. “I’m a big-time people person, too. Like, I love people. I hate to be by myself.” He repeats the phrase to himself, quieter each time: “I hate to be by myself. I hate to be by myself. I hate to be by myself.”

Paul is going to have a lot of people pulling at him this season — he is a free agent next summer, and while the Clippers may be in the driver’s seat to keep him nothing is certain. Paul likes Los Angeles, but he’s not Hollywood. He’s going to make the decision next summer that is best for his family first and him as well.

Really, just go read the GQ piece and you’ll get a sense of the man and how he’s going to handle free agency with a calm precision. Just like he does on the court.

Latest Posts
  1. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

2. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

3. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

4. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

5. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

6. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

7. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

8. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches