Sep 19, 2012, 11:45 AM EST
Part of what made Brandon Roy so dangerous with Portland — before his knees robbed him of his game and us of the pleasure of watching it — was his ability to change speed, change direction, and just explode past people. He got in the lane seemingly at will.
That went away as his knees degenerated. Now Roy has had the Regenecon procedure on his knees — the Kobe treatment — and is making a comeback with the Timberwolves. But will he be anywhere near the same player?
We’ll see, but Roy told Dennis Scott on NBA TV (transcribed by Blazers Edge) that he’s a smarter player now than he was and that could help him.
I’ll be honest, some of the lift isn’t what it used to be. But my explosiveness, my explosiveness to get to the basket, is good. More than anything, I think I’m a lot smarter of a basketball player. The NBA season is long and my body isn’t what it used to be. Right now I feel great. Me and coach [Rick] Adelman are going to sit down before the season and communicate throughout the year about how I’m feeling and what’s the best way to get the most out of me. I feel great, right now there’s nothing holding me back, I can go out there and play as much as I like.
Yes, but you can bet Adelman is not going to go out there and run him 40 minutes a night. Adelman is going to treat Roy like Gregg Popovich treats Tim Duncan — lots of rest, limited minutes, and try to save him for what matters.
Roy will bring a good veteran presence to the Timberwolves locker room and his play early in the season can help them survive the Ricky Rubio absence as he recovers from ACL surgery (likely to return in December). This is a good gamble for the Timberwolves.
Roy continues to say that he feels great. I’m rooting for him because he was a favorite player of mine to watch. But like everyone I want to see how he is doing in March and April before I start recommending everyone get Regenecon done on their knees, whether they need it or not.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 8
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 7
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 14
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)