Sep 18, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
I post this not as someone mocking the Knicks’ Iman Shumpert for writing poetry, but rather because this is good, raw, emotional stuff.
Shumpert’s aunt died of cancer and this was an open letter to her. It is heartfelt, it is powerful.
Just remember this next time you want to paint NBA players as two-dimensional people whose sole purpose is to entertain on the basketball court. They are flesh and blood people who face the same challenges we all do in life. Nobody’s road is smooth.
Hat tip to Sekou Smith at the Hang Time Blog for posting this.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20