Sep 18, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
I post this not as someone mocking the Knicks’ Iman Shumpert for writing poetry, but rather because this is good, raw, emotional stuff.
Shumpert’s aunt died of cancer and this was an open letter to her. It is heartfelt, it is powerful.
Just remember this next time you want to paint NBA players as two-dimensional people whose sole purpose is to entertain on the basketball court. They are flesh and blood people who face the same challenges we all do in life. Nobody’s road is smooth.
Hat tip to Sekou Smith at the Hang Time Blog for posting this.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 8
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31