Sep 18, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
I post this not as someone mocking the Knicks’ Iman Shumpert for writing poetry, but rather because this is good, raw, emotional stuff.
Shumpert’s aunt died of cancer and this was an open letter to her. It is heartfelt, it is powerful.
Just remember this next time you want to paint NBA players as two-dimensional people whose sole purpose is to entertain on the basketball court. They are flesh and blood people who face the same challenges we all do in life. Nobody’s road is smooth.
Hat tip to Sekou Smith at the Hang Time Blog for posting this.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1