Sep 18, 2012, 8:48 AM EST
I post this not as someone mocking the Knicks’ Iman Shumpert for writing poetry, but rather because this is good, raw, emotional stuff.
Shumpert’s aunt died of cancer and this was an open letter to her. It is heartfelt, it is powerful.
Just remember this next time you want to paint NBA players as two-dimensional people whose sole purpose is to entertain on the basketball court. They are flesh and blood people who face the same challenges we all do in life. Nobody’s road is smooth.
Hat tip to Sekou Smith at the Hang Time Blog for posting this.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 6
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 32
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10