Sep 18, 2012, 8:16 AM EDT
With training camps set to open in a couple weeks, we’re starting to see a little movement on the veteran players still out there unsigned right now. First Matt Barnes then Josh Harrellson got signed by teams.
According to a source close to the situation, “Suddenly, three NBA teams have shown major interest in the nine-year veteran and two of the teams seem very motivated to get a deal done.
“Mickael also has a strong overseas option on the table that contains an escape clause. He’s considering all of his options, but he prefers to play in the NBA and he’s feeling 10 times better than last season. He’s healthy for the first time in two years.”
I don’t know who Haynes source is, but pretty clearly it is Pietrus’ agent (Bill McCandless) or someone in his circle. Pietrus and his agent have said before he would not play for the veteran minimum, but the only way to get more than that right now is to create demand. Truth be told, the players really in demand in the league already have deals, but someone is trying to create the picture of real options for Pietrus looking for a better offer.
Pietrus played for the Celtics last season and had his knee scoped this summer, but reportedly is doing well and is ready to go for camp. As soon as he signs.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59