Sep 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
You can add one new name to the list of available power forward free agents, one that will quickly move to the top of the board for a lot of teams.
Williams started out last season slowly (and not in great shape) but played his way into shape and due to injuries got more run as the season wore on. And he showed potential in those minutes — he didn’t score a lot (4.7 per game and he has no shooting range to speak of) but rebounded pretty well on both ends of the floor and played within himself. He’s no lock for a long NBA career, but you can see potential in him.
For teams looking for another big, most would rather have a young player with potential than a veteran on the down side of their career. It’s why he will be off the market pretty quickly.
The Hawks made this move after re-signing their own promising young big man Ivan Johnson.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17