Sep 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
You can add one new name to the list of available power forward free agents, one that will quickly move to the top of the board for a lot of teams.
Williams started out last season slowly (and not in great shape) but played his way into shape and due to injuries got more run as the season wore on. And he showed potential in those minutes — he didn’t score a lot (4.7 per game and he has no shooting range to speak of) but rebounded pretty well on both ends of the floor and played within himself. He’s no lock for a long NBA career, but you can see potential in him.
For teams looking for another big, most would rather have a young player with potential than a veteran on the down side of their career. It’s why he will be off the market pretty quickly.
The Hawks made this move after re-signing their own promising young big man Ivan Johnson.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 3
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 13
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17