Sep 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
You can add one new name to the list of available power forward free agents, one that will quickly move to the top of the board for a lot of teams.
Williams started out last season slowly (and not in great shape) but played his way into shape and due to injuries got more run as the season wore on. And he showed potential in those minutes — he didn’t score a lot (4.7 per game and he has no shooting range to speak of) but rebounded pretty well on both ends of the floor and played within himself. He’s no lock for a long NBA career, but you can see potential in him.
For teams looking for another big, most would rather have a young player with potential than a veteran on the down side of their career. It’s why he will be off the market pretty quickly.
The Hawks made this move after re-signing their own promising young big man Ivan Johnson.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 6
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 23
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0