Sep 18, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
There are a whole lot of things in the world more important than the quibbles of NBA coaches and players. And at least some of the players and coaches get that.
No pair has had a more rocky relationship of late than Dwight Howard and Stan Van Gundy. What with Howard’s people telling the Magic to can Van Gundy then Van Gundy throwing Howard under the bus in front of press conference. It was a messy divorce from both of them from Orlando.
If you read my column last week, you know Van Gundy is the chairman of a political group in Seminole County called Citizens for Preservation of Property Values. The goal of the group is to increase property taxes in Seminole County to help preserve the area’s traditionally strong public school system — a system that has been decimated by $73 million in budget cuts over the past five years. In the Nov. 6 general election, Seminole voters will decide whether to approve a 1-mill increase in property taxes for four years beginning a year from now. The increase would bring in as much as $25 million annually to the school district.
Van Gundy says Dwight, who was recently traded to the Lakers, is going to lend some financial backing to the cause.
“Dwight has pledged his support,” Van Gundy said Monday during an interview on our Open Mike radio show on 740 The Game. “He’s a resident of Seminole County, and he’s keeping his house here. I think his history will show that he’s had great concern for kids in the Central Florida community. With him still living here, we asked him to help and he didn’t hesitate.”
Getting people to vote to raise their own taxes — even for a worthwhile cause — is a tough sell anywhere. And I’m not familiar with nor am I going to get into the funding issues of Seminole County schools. (However, from a guy whose wife is a teacher I can assure you their issues are not because the teachers there are overpaid.)
Howard said in his recent interview with ESPN that he and Van Gundy still had a respectful relationship. Apparently those were not just empty words.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 17
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 25
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2