Sep 18, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
There are a whole lot of things in the world more important than the quibbles of NBA coaches and players. And at least some of the players and coaches get that.
No pair has had a more rocky relationship of late than Dwight Howard and Stan Van Gundy. What with Howard’s people telling the Magic to can Van Gundy then Van Gundy throwing Howard under the bus in front of press conference. It was a messy divorce from both of them from Orlando.
If you read my column last week, you know Van Gundy is the chairman of a political group in Seminole County called Citizens for Preservation of Property Values. The goal of the group is to increase property taxes in Seminole County to help preserve the area’s traditionally strong public school system — a system that has been decimated by $73 million in budget cuts over the past five years. In the Nov. 6 general election, Seminole voters will decide whether to approve a 1-mill increase in property taxes for four years beginning a year from now. The increase would bring in as much as $25 million annually to the school district.
Van Gundy says Dwight, who was recently traded to the Lakers, is going to lend some financial backing to the cause.
“Dwight has pledged his support,” Van Gundy said Monday during an interview on our Open Mike radio show on 740 The Game. “He’s a resident of Seminole County, and he’s keeping his house here. I think his history will show that he’s had great concern for kids in the Central Florida community. With him still living here, we asked him to help and he didn’t hesitate.”
Getting people to vote to raise their own taxes — even for a worthwhile cause — is a tough sell anywhere. And I’m not familiar with nor am I going to get into the funding issues of Seminole County schools. (However, from a guy whose wife is a teacher I can assure you their issues are not because the teachers there are overpaid.)
Howard said in his recent interview with ESPN that he and Van Gundy still had a respectful relationship. Apparently those were not just empty words.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8