Sep 18, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
AEG — the entertainment and sports subsidiary of The Anschutz Co., run by Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz — is being put up for sale.
AEG has a stake in the Los Angeles Lakers as well as being the owner of the building they play in, the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. AEG also was involved in discussions about a new arena in Sacramento.
AEG is also the owner of the Los Angeles Kings of the NHL, the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer and owns or helps operate a host of other venues around the nation. They also are working on a stadium deal near Staples Center to bring an NFL team back to Los Angeles.
Whoever buys AEG would not have a controlling interest in the Lakers — that still belongs to the Buss family — and likely would not want to make changes to a profitable enterprise. But change is always something to watch.
- NBA Playoff Preview: Chicago Bulls vs. Washington Wizards 5
- Report: Steve Kerr “expects” to be offered, will take Knicks coaching job 4
- Why shot-location defense matters 3
- NBA Playoff Preview: Golden State Warriors vs. Los Angeles Clippers 6
- Are the Warriors championship favorites? Adjusting for playoff rotations says yes 13