Shockingly, Dwyane Wade likes all the Heat’s new shooters

Sep 17, 2012, 1:23 PM EDT

Miami Heat Victory Parade And Rally Getty Images

Dwyane Wade won a 2006 NBA title driving, getting fouled, and dishing out to hot shooters on the perimeter. Oh, and there was that Shaq guy and some interesting officiating, but Wade’s relentless attacking and smart playmaking were what got the Heat their first title.

The 2012-13 Heat are not going back to that — this is LeBron James’ team now — but at moments it could look a little more like it. This summer the Heat went out and got sharpshooters Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis (who hasn’t been quite as sharp lately) to go with Shane Batter, the somehow healthy Mike Miller, Mario Chalmers and three-point contest champion James Jones.

The Heat have shooters to space the floor and Wade told Ira Winderman at the Sun Sentinel he is excited about the possibilities. Last year he started to develop some chemistry with Shane Battier during the playoffs.

“I think I did a little bit in the Finals,” Wade said. “With the matchup problems, sometimes I drove just to get guys shots. So I knew that once I drove, that bigger guys who were guarding Shane were going to come to the rim and protect the rim. Shane had a lot of open shots…”

“My mind frame a lot would be when I get to the paint, when I attack, sometimes I’m going just to draw the defense, knowing I’ve got the shooters and I need to get my shooters shots,” he said. “I can always get my own shot. But when I’m in the game, my mindset is, ‘OK, I need to get these guys going,’ because they’re going to get things open for everyone.”

I don’t need to remind you what happened in Game 5 of the finals when Millers mind overcame his body and he started draining threes. If the Heat get consistent scoring threats from outside their big three they become nearly impossible to defend.

We will see how much of drive-and-dish Wade we really see during the season, it’s not going to be 2006 redux, but it’s another potential way for Miami to take advantage of matchup problems. And they create a lot of matchup problems.

Latest Posts
  1. LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Two Getty Images

LeBron had 30, Kyrie Irving added 26 to give Cleveland the 2-0 lead in the series.

2. Chandler Parsons out for Game 2, maybe rest of Rockets series

Apr 21, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT

Devin Harris, Chandler Parsons, Trevor Ariza AP

Devin Harris also out Game 2 for Mavericks

3. PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul

Apr 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Expect to see a lot more Kawhi Leonard (and Danny Green) on Paul from the start.

4. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

5. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

6. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

7. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

8. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

9. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2