Shockingly, Dwyane Wade likes all the Heat’s new shooters

Sep 17, 2012, 1:23 PM EDT

Miami Heat Victory Parade And Rally Getty Images

Dwyane Wade won a 2006 NBA title driving, getting fouled, and dishing out to hot shooters on the perimeter. Oh, and there was that Shaq guy and some interesting officiating, but Wade’s relentless attacking and smart playmaking were what got the Heat their first title.

The 2012-13 Heat are not going back to that — this is LeBron James’ team now — but at moments it could look a little more like it. This summer the Heat went out and got sharpshooters Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis (who hasn’t been quite as sharp lately) to go with Shane Batter, the somehow healthy Mike Miller, Mario Chalmers and three-point contest champion James Jones.

The Heat have shooters to space the floor and Wade told Ira Winderman at the Sun Sentinel he is excited about the possibilities. Last year he started to develop some chemistry with Shane Battier during the playoffs.

“I think I did a little bit in the Finals,” Wade said. “With the matchup problems, sometimes I drove just to get guys shots. So I knew that once I drove, that bigger guys who were guarding Shane were going to come to the rim and protect the rim. Shane had a lot of open shots…”

“My mind frame a lot would be when I get to the paint, when I attack, sometimes I’m going just to draw the defense, knowing I’ve got the shooters and I need to get my shooters shots,” he said. “I can always get my own shot. But when I’m in the game, my mindset is, ‘OK, I need to get these guys going,’ because they’re going to get things open for everyone.”

I don’t need to remind you what happened in Game 5 of the finals when Millers mind overcame his body and he started draining threes. If the Heat get consistent scoring threats from outside their big three they become nearly impossible to defend.

We will see how much of drive-and-dish Wade we really see during the season, it’s not going to be 2006 redux, but it’s another potential way for Miami to take advantage of matchup problems. And they create a lot of matchup problems.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

2. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

3. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

4. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

5. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

6. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

7. Why I am going to miss Steve Nash

Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

steve-nash-getty Getty Images

Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.

8. 67RIEFNS No. 34: JaVale McGee doing JaVale McGee things

Oct 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets Media Day Denver Nuggets Media Day

The NBA is full of talent, personality and suspense. During the offseason, It’s easy to forget how wonderful the league can be. So, I’ve assembled 67 Reasons I’m Excited For Next Season (67RIEFNS). They’ll be presented in no particular order. JaVale McGee played just five games last year after injuring his leg. How did we…

9. 67RIEFNS No. 33: Emotional swings of Roy Hibbert

Oct 24, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014 Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014

Pacers center filling huge role after last season’s great start, big collapse

10. Josh Childress delivers flying elbow to opponent’s face (video)

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

NBL Rd 3 - Perth v Sydney Getty Images

Childress, who played for Pelicans last season, now playing (dirty) in Australia

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches