Sep 17, 2012, 4:15 PM EST
For the Lakers fifth offensive option (if that), Metta World Peace isn’t afraid to do the talking.
We told you how he said he didn’t think anybody could get past the Lakers. We’ve shown you his latest boast-filled video. We showed you him on Yo Gabba Gabba. He’s kind of everywhere right now.
“We definitely want to beat the Bulls record and go 73-9, that’s definitely something that I want to do. Whoever is out there at the beginning of the season then we gotta get it. It’s as simple as that. We just have to go get it. (Host: So that Bulls record is something you’re thinking about?) No question. You try to snatch records before you leave this earth. You gotta try to do a lot of great things so it’s definitely a goal. With Dwight Howard, (Steve) Nash, Kobe (Bryant), myself, Pau (Gasol) and then (Antawn) Jamison and a lot of great additions it’s something that’s possible.”
File this in the “good that he’s thinking this way, will never happen” file. I mean, you want you players to think they can win every game, so good for MWP here. But every year some team or teams foolishly think they have a shot at that record, I wish players would stop saying that. It is not going to happen in this case for a lot of reasons.
First off, the West is too deep with good teams. The Clippers are young, talented, have Chris Paul and Blake Griffin plus Jamal Crawford off the bench and they probably end up being the four or five seed in the conference. Minnesota with Kevin Love, Rick Rubio and a lot of nice young pieces are a bubble team to even make the playoffs. There are just too many tough games.
Second, the Lakers should be good with this roster but if Dwight Howard is out for training camp there is going to be an early season adjustment period that will cost them some games. Third, Phil Jackson (who coached that Bulls team) said no team from the West will break that record because the hours and amount of distance traveled is too great and it wears teams down.
And we could go on and on, but this is a silly topic. The Heat aren’t going to win 72 games and in a less deep East they have a better shot at it.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)