Sep 17, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
You know who some of the worst judges of talent and team building skills are? No, stop it with the Bobcats jokes.
It’s other players. They often see players for what they were not are, or have inflated (or undersized) understanding of a player based on what they have seen in person in a game here or there. More often than not, players make bad GMs.
“Definitely,” Smith told The Post when asked if McGrady could help the Knicks after Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday McGrady has worked out for the team. “T-Mac has always been an elite player in this league.
“We need all the help we can get in every area. … So whenever a big name comes up that can help our team, we’ve got to get him.”
I would argue McGrady hasn’t been an elite player in the league since about 2007.
McGrady might have some value off the bench for the Knicks, providing a little depth early in the season while Ronnie Brewer and Iman Shumpert recover from injuries (Shumpert likely is out until January, Brewer closer to the start of the season). He still plays a pretty good game.
But let’s not confuse 2012 McGrady with the 2006 model. That was a long time and a lot of injuries ago.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61