Sep 17, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
You know who some of the worst judges of talent and team building skills are? No, stop it with the Bobcats jokes.
It’s other players. They often see players for what they were not are, or have inflated (or undersized) understanding of a player based on what they have seen in person in a game here or there. More often than not, players make bad GMs.
“Definitely,” Smith told The Post when asked if McGrady could help the Knicks after Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday McGrady has worked out for the team. “T-Mac has always been an elite player in this league.
“We need all the help we can get in every area. … So whenever a big name comes up that can help our team, we’ve got to get him.”
I would argue McGrady hasn’t been an elite player in the league since about 2007.
McGrady might have some value off the bench for the Knicks, providing a little depth early in the season while Ronnie Brewer and Iman Shumpert recover from injuries (Shumpert likely is out until January, Brewer closer to the start of the season). He still plays a pretty good game.
But let’s not confuse 2012 McGrady with the 2006 model. That was a long time and a lot of injuries ago.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6