Sep 17, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
You know who some of the worst judges of talent and team building skills are? No, stop it with the Bobcats jokes.
It’s other players. They often see players for what they were not are, or have inflated (or undersized) understanding of a player based on what they have seen in person in a game here or there. More often than not, players make bad GMs.
“Definitely,” Smith told The Post when asked if McGrady could help the Knicks after Yahoo! Sports reported Thursday McGrady has worked out for the team. “T-Mac has always been an elite player in this league.
“We need all the help we can get in every area. … So whenever a big name comes up that can help our team, we’ve got to get him.”
I would argue McGrady hasn’t been an elite player in the league since about 2007.
McGrady might have some value off the bench for the Knicks, providing a little depth early in the season while Ronnie Brewer and Iman Shumpert recover from injuries (Shumpert likely is out until January, Brewer closer to the start of the season). He still plays a pretty good game.
But let’s not confuse 2012 McGrady with the 2006 model. That was a long time and a lot of injuries ago.
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 32
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 6
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 65
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19