Sep 16, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
The wait is almost over. We’re two weeks and three days from training camp, and the start of the 2012-2013 NBA season. Basketball is almost back. As we get closer we’ll be bringing you reminders of why this game is awesome, what you’ve missed, and what to look forward to.
The best thing about Tony Allen‘s defense is it is the polar opposite of what we have been told is the model of NBA defense. He gambles constantly. He over-pursues to a degree that makes a golden retriever seem coy. He’s not constantly holding his position, moving in the right direction, anticipating his opponent’s every move. He’s just… on you. He’s swarming you with motion and bumps and aggression, always aggression. He creates absolute havoc defensively, and it’s that attitude and approach that really transformed the Grizzlies into an upper-tier Western Conference team. The man’s a little nuts, let’s be honest, and that’s what makes him so much fun to watch.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 18
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10