Sep 16, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
The wait is almost over. We’re two weeks and three days from training camp, and the start of the 2012-2013 NBA season. Basketball is almost back. As we get closer we’ll be bringing you reminders of why this game is awesome, what you’ve missed, and what to look forward to.
The best thing about Tony Allen‘s defense is it is the polar opposite of what we have been told is the model of NBA defense. He gambles constantly. He over-pursues to a degree that makes a golden retriever seem coy. He’s not constantly holding his position, moving in the right direction, anticipating his opponent’s every move. He’s just… on you. He’s swarming you with motion and bumps and aggression, always aggression. He creates absolute havoc defensively, and it’s that attitude and approach that really transformed the Grizzlies into an upper-tier Western Conference team. The man’s a little nuts, let’s be honest, and that’s what makes him so much fun to watch.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9