Sep 16, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
The wait is almost over. We’re two weeks and three days from training camp, and the start of the 2012-2013 NBA season. Basketball is almost back. As we get closer we’ll be bringing you reminders of why this game is awesome, what you’ve missed, and what to look forward to.
The best thing about Tony Allen‘s defense is it is the polar opposite of what we have been told is the model of NBA defense. He gambles constantly. He over-pursues to a degree that makes a golden retriever seem coy. He’s not constantly holding his position, moving in the right direction, anticipating his opponent’s every move. He’s just… on you. He’s swarming you with motion and bumps and aggression, always aggression. He creates absolute havoc defensively, and it’s that attitude and approach that really transformed the Grizzlies into an upper-tier Western Conference team. The man’s a little nuts, let’s be honest, and that’s what makes him so much fun to watch.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 0
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 12
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)