Sep 16, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was brilliant in Summer League.
For a whole game.
Then he was out with a knee. It was a really disappointing start to the forward’s time with Charlotte, as MKG is largely thought of as the start of their rebuilding plan. Then he disappeared. Not a word was said about Kidd-Gilchrist over the summer, and that’s going to lead to “whispers” or whatever about whether he’s healthy. Turns out he’s cool. From the Charlotte Observer:
After initially indicating he would not play in Kentucky’s charity game (it’s still unclear why he said that to Kentucky media), Kidd-Gilchrist was pretty impressive Saturday: 32 points on 15-of-32 shooting from the field. A game-high five rebounds.
His only hiccup Saturday was outside shooting range, a known flaw before the Bobcats drafted him second overall in June. Kidd-Gilchrist missed all four of his shots from 3-point range (though he made some 2-point jump shots).
Thanks to longtime friend Jerry Tipton, who covers Kentucky for the Lexington paper, for passing along how MKG did.
The shot is likely going to be a thing that comes and goes, and there’s a good chance if MKG reaches star level, he’s treated like Rondo. Rondo actually shot decently overall from mid-range last year, and yet the perception still continues that he needs to “learn how to shoot.”
But more importantly, he’s healthy enough to play in a charity exhibition, so he’s in all likelihood good for the start of the season, which should be a relief for the five Bobcats fans who are left after last season. If the Bobcats want to get out of the basement and build towards something, they need MKG to get off on the right foot… er… knee.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49