Sep 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
So much for downplaying expectations.
Not that the Lakers really could — the Lakers are the 800 pound gorilla of sports in Los Angeles with a fan base is rabid and at times delusional. After the Lakers traded for Steve Nash and Dwight Howard this summer (to pair with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol), the portion of Lakers fans that will not be satisfied until they win two NBA championships a year has been a full throat.
Metta World Peace wants another ring — he auctioned off the first one — and speaking on 710 ESPN radio on Friday (transcribed by ESPNLA.com) he was very confident they would get it and talked about other Lakers pick ups.
“With the way the Lakers are looking this year, I don’t see anybody getting past us this year at all,” World Peace said.
“I saw (Antwan) Jamison today,” World Peace said. “People forget how much a great rebounder he is. He’s one of the greatest rebounders of the game, he has the best touch out of everybody in the NBA, best touch out of all the big men in the game.”
I will go only this far — the Lakers are in the mix. Before teams even get to training camp the most any team’s fans can hope for is that their squad is on the championship tier of squads that have a very legitimate shot at a ring. The Lakers are there. So are the Heat and Thunder.
Anything beyond that is posturing. But I get why World Peace really wants another ring this year, looking at his contract and the Lakers payroll (and tax obligations) next year, and knowing they still have their amnesty available, this may be his shot.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 29
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 39
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42