Sep 15, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
So much for downplaying expectations.
Not that the Lakers really could — the Lakers are the 800 pound gorilla of sports in Los Angeles with a fan base is rabid and at times delusional. After the Lakers traded for Steve Nash and Dwight Howard this summer (to pair with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol), the portion of Lakers fans that will not be satisfied until they win two NBA championships a year has been a full throat.
Metta World Peace wants another ring — he auctioned off the first one — and speaking on 710 ESPN radio on Friday (transcribed by ESPNLA.com) he was very confident they would get it and talked about other Lakers pick ups.
“With the way the Lakers are looking this year, I don’t see anybody getting past us this year at all,” World Peace said.
“I saw (Antwan) Jamison today,” World Peace said. “People forget how much a great rebounder he is. He’s one of the greatest rebounders of the game, he has the best touch out of everybody in the NBA, best touch out of all the big men in the game.”
I will go only this far — the Lakers are in the mix. Before teams even get to training camp the most any team’s fans can hope for is that their squad is on the championship tier of squads that have a very legitimate shot at a ring. The Lakers are there. So are the Heat and Thunder.
Anything beyond that is posturing. But I get why World Peace really wants another ring this year, looking at his contract and the Lakers payroll (and tax obligations) next year, and knowing they still have their amnesty available, this may be his shot.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 32
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11