In case you are curious how much pull CP3 has with Clippers, check out what Barnes said.

Sep 15, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Four Getty Images

Matt Barnes is a member of the Los Angeles Clippers. We told you about that yesterday.

We’ve also told you that Chris Paul was playing GM and doing the recruiting — the Clippers want to keep Paul happy heading into his free agency and the buzz around the league is he and CAA have been a big part of the Clippers GM process this summer.

If you think we’re kidding, check out what Barnes told the Los Angeles Times after inking his deal.

“Chris Paul was talking about how tough we were going to be next year, assuming I was a Laker,” Barnes said in a telephone interview. “I told him I was a free agent and he said, ‘No, you’re about to be a Clipper.’ “

And soon it was done.

Paul’s influence may explain why the Clippers now have Jamal Crawford, Caron Butler, Grant Hill and now Barnes at the three; plus Chauncey Billups started last season at the two guard spot (he doesn’t play point with the Clippers) and Willie Green is behind him. That’s a lot of wing players, when what the Clippers need is a backup big.

But back to Barnes. The one thing that needed to be smoothed over before he signed was when Barnes picked up a flagrant foul shoving Blake Griffin to the ground in a preseason game last season. Barnes and Griffin talked before the signing.

“I just kind of explained to him that it was no disrespect to him or his game,” Barnes said. “I think he’s one of the best players in the league and arguably the most athletic player. I play basketball hard-nosed and if you’re not on my team, during that 48 minutes we’re enemies. He appreciated it and understood where I was coming from.”

1. Michael DeCicco - Sep 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Kurt, literally just wrote an article this morning on my basketball blog about CP3 and his future. Would be greatly appreciated if you could check it out. Your site is the reason I got into blogging in the first place. Thanks for your time, hope you enjoy it.

2. congocash - Sep 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I wonder when sterling will realize his checkbook is missing…

3. progress2011 - Sep 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM

The Clippers match up VERY well with the Lakers starting 5.

Jordan vs Howard = Howard
    Blake vs Gasol = Blake
    Butler vs MWP = even
    Chauncey vs Kobe = Kobe
    CP3 vs Nash = CP3

But then look at the bench:

Jamal Crawford vs Steve Blake = ahahahahaha
    Lamar Odom vs Antwan Jamison = Odom
    Grant Hill vs Eubanks = Grant
    Matt Barnes vs Jordaon Hill = Barnes
    Willie Green vs Goudelock = Green
    Eric Bledsoe vs Duhon = Bledsoe

So, based on the FACTUAL assumptions, the Clippers are the best team in L.A. because of their Bench. I have them winning a 7 game series vs the Fakers. Going to Vegas and win the odds !

• 00maltliquor - Sep 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Your theory doesn’t hold up. Jamison vs Odom on last year alone…LO makes AJ look like Dirk Nowitski.

Grant Hill is what, 40 years old, I’m not even joking. He IS a good pick up, but the difference between him and Ebanks won’t be as far apart as you think. Still, I’ll roll with GH being the better player…+1 progress. Goudelock is better then Green is at this point. He just needs minutes and a freaking chance. Plus, Meeks is the backup 2 and I’d take Meeks over Green any day of the week. Matt Barnes is a SF and Hill will be the backup C with Jamison as the backup PF. Soooo….J Hill vs. Ryan Hollins/Ronny Turiaf—-J Hill hands down.

What’s left, Bledsoe vs Duhon…ok, Bledsoe allll the way.
      Blake vs. J. Crawford….bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tape up your ankles Steve!

Now the starters…1 issue. Griffin vs. Pau. Both of ‘em will get each other in different ways so it’s a wash.

• woefulsoxfan - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Dude, did you just use the phrase “factual assumptions”? Ummm… WHAT?!

4. 00maltliquor - Sep 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Looking at this roster, Chris Paul is a pretty damn good GM. He should do it for real whenever he retires if this is what we can come to expect from a Chris Paul sewn team.

5. misterdreamer119 - Sep 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM

With enemies like barnes who needs friends. He sucks.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches