Sep 14, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
Ivan Johnson will be back with the Atlanta Hawks next season, one of their key bigs off the bench, but he will be a free agent next summer.
After being unable to find a better offer in a tight market, Johnson has signed the qualifying offer the Hawks extended, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com. That means Johnson will make $962,195 this season and will be an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Johnson, a 6’8” power forward out of Oregon, turned heads last year during his rookie season with some very solid play. He gave the Hawks 6.3 points and 4 rebounds a game in 16 minutes a game off the bench and showed a deft touch around the rim. He was strong on the defensive glass. He had a PER of 14.9, basically right at the league average, which is good for a rookie. Even a 28-year-old rookie.
Johnson was not able to parlay that into an offer from another team, in part because he was a restricted free agent and other teams expected the Hawks would match. So he signed the only offer on the table and will return to the Hawks.
But if he has a season that builds on the past one, he’s going to have more options next summer.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 0
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 11
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 7
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Roy Hibbert believes Shane Battier’s knee to his groin in Game 1 was intentional (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million