Sep 14, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
The phone of Kenyon Martin’s agent is ringing — teams are interested in him.
But the offers are all the same — veteran minimum. And for a veteran who played well at times for the Clippers last season (8.9 points and 6.3 rebounds a game), he doesn’t want to play for the minimum anymore.
Free-agent rumble: Knicks continue to rate Kenyon Martin as vet free agent they like best but NYK, to date, haven’t sold him on vet minimum
Both the Celtics and Lakers also have reached out to K-Mart during free agency. But again, the offer is the minimum.
Martin may wait it out, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
… the question now is whether the 34-year-old Martin will hold out until midseason or perhaps even retire if he doesn’t get a deal and a situation to his liking. His leading competitor in this corner of the free-agent market is journeyman forward Louis Amundson, the 29-year-old who came off the bench for Indiana last season.
Somebody is going to pick him up, just watch. But either a team with some room will get desperate or he will come around to taking the minimum. And it will probably be the latter.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 0
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 3
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 16
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34