Sep 14, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
The phone of Kenyon Martin’s agent is ringing — teams are interested in him.
But the offers are all the same — veteran minimum. And for a veteran who played well at times for the Clippers last season (8.9 points and 6.3 rebounds a game), he doesn’t want to play for the minimum anymore.
Free-agent rumble: Knicks continue to rate Kenyon Martin as vet free agent they like best but NYK, to date, haven’t sold him on vet minimum
Both the Celtics and Lakers also have reached out to K-Mart during free agency. But again, the offer is the minimum.
Martin may wait it out, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
… the question now is whether the 34-year-old Martin will hold out until midseason or perhaps even retire if he doesn’t get a deal and a situation to his liking. His leading competitor in this corner of the free-agent market is journeyman forward Louis Amundson, the 29-year-old who came off the bench for Indiana last season.
Somebody is going to pick him up, just watch. But either a team with some room will get desperate or he will come around to taking the minimum. And it will probably be the latter.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 2
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 19
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery