Sep 14, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
The phone of Kenyon Martin’s agent is ringing — teams are interested in him.
But the offers are all the same — veteran minimum. And for a veteran who played well at times for the Clippers last season (8.9 points and 6.3 rebounds a game), he doesn’t want to play for the minimum anymore.
Free-agent rumble: Knicks continue to rate Kenyon Martin as vet free agent they like best but NYK, to date, haven’t sold him on vet minimum
Both the Celtics and Lakers also have reached out to K-Mart during free agency. But again, the offer is the minimum.
Martin may wait it out, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
… the question now is whether the 34-year-old Martin will hold out until midseason or perhaps even retire if he doesn’t get a deal and a situation to his liking. His leading competitor in this corner of the free-agent market is journeyman forward Louis Amundson, the 29-year-old who came off the bench for Indiana last season.
Somebody is going to pick him up, just watch. But either a team with some room will get desperate or he will come around to taking the minimum. And it will probably be the latter.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'